1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E47 B coil - stud/nut?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Luppy, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Guys I'd like to thank all who helped me identify this thing. Also a big thanks to gt_racer50 for recommending Angelos in Michigan. I've received the new coil assembly and am painting/mounting it today. One more question though -
    Why do you guys say to replace the nut with a brass nut? Wouldn't a stainless steel nut be just as good if I load up the stud with anti-seize and then coat the entire thing with grease afterward? Thanks very much. This site and all of you are a godsend!

Michele

2. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

For some reason there's no option to edit my original post that I just made a little while ago...oh well.
    I've encountered a problem installing the B coil assembly. The big nut that's welded to the valve assembly is fatter than the old one and as a result, the new assembly doesn't sit flush down on the plow pump like the other one did.
    For now I'm going to load the bottom up with grease because I can't think of anything else to do to protect that bottom part from rust.

Here's a pic to clearly explain:

bcoil.jpg

3. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

check the bottom inside of the coil, you may have a ring from am old solenoid stuck inside of it, not allowing it to sit down flush.

4. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

Stainless would help. The theory on brass is it is corrosion resistant and also softer than the steel. The 10¢ brass nut will strip first before the 50$ valve. I would check inside the coil for any obstructions. Finding none I would do one of two things. Either grind the edges of the valve so the coil fits (keep shavings out of the valve) or put a bead of silicone sealer all the way around at the gap (clean and dry with brake cleaner first). Coil should still work without being all the way down.

5. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Nothing stuck inside the coil, that was the first thing I checked. Even with a brand new coil it doesn't sit flush.

Thanks Steve. Yep it's working fine. For now I loaded the bottom up with grease so nothing can get in there. Also cleaned and coated the stud with anti-seize and used a stainless steel nut and washer so I think it will be fine for now.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  6. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

I'm thinking that is due to the aftermarket valve and the OEM coil. You would probably need to buy the aftermarket coil to get it to fit correctly on the aftermarket valve. Might measure your existing coil and call your supplier and see if a new coil is larger ID to fit valve. If so you could also replace the coil. Your $$ your call.

7. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Yes you'd think so wouldn't ya....except I bought the whole assembly,(coil & valve) and it does the same thing. The reason is, that big nut that you can see exposed under the coil - well it's a taller nut than the one on the OEM valve. It doesn't get conceiled up inside the coil - even the coil that came with the assembly. The new coil is the same size as the old one. The only difference is that nut on the valve is taller than the nut on the OEM valve. Only reason I'm using the old coil is because there's nothing wrong with it so I put the new one on the shelf in case I ever need it.

plowpump 001 (Small).jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005