1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E47 and plow problem

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by rswojo, Jul 3, 2012.

1. rswojo

rswojo Member

Long story here.

I have a Meyer plow with an E47 pump. It seemed to have trouble with lift but no trouble with angle so I took to a local hydraulic shop and the pump tested good. I then went to drain the turn rams in case there was water in them.

A YouTube video shows the guy (well he is a big guy) just turning the A frame to force the old oil out. To do mine I had to put a truck tire on the plow and use the backhoe to move the A frame back and forth. The pump seems to have no trouble angling the plow.

Last fall the pump sprang a leak. I add new oil, it just runs out.

I'm thinking maybe it takes too much pressure to angle the plow and that blew out the oil ring at the bottom of the reservoir.

As soon as it cools down a little I plan on removing the turn rams and seeing how easily they work. If they are sticky I will replace them for about $75 each. Then I only have to deal with the leaky pump. Am I correct in assuming that the O-ring will be my only source of the leak? Otherwise I am thinking about buying a rebuilt pump.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Woah.............you should not have to use that much force to move your plow WITH the angle ram fittings cracked loose. Somethings amiss.
  3. rswojo

rswojo Member

I tried moving them by hand, nothing. I got out the backhoe and pushed with that and one side of the plow lifted up. I parked the truck with one tire on the plow and then the backhoe evacuated one ram and then the other. I am amazed the pump doesn't seem to strain when angling the plow.

Next I will remove the angle rams and see how they operate off the plow. I want to get this done well before the snow begins to fly but with the heat we are enduring now I am in no hurry to do anything but go fishing.:)
  4. acornish

acornish Senior Member

try taking the hoses off the rams and see if u can angle it --- mine had a hose that was colapsed and caused that --- also did u take the quick connects off they are designed to not let fluid out unless connected --- and it is possible to blow out the O-ring if u have to much pressure
  5. rswojo

rswojo Member

When I tried forcing the fluid out of the rams I had both hoses/fittings off.

I removed the pump to fix the leak. I filled it with fluid just to re-verify the leak before I did anything. It did not leak. I then filled both new angle rams with fluid and installed them on the plow using the pump to extend them so I could put the bolts in. I then operated the angle both ways and everything works smoothly with no leaks.

Last summer fluid ran out of the pump almost as fast as I could put it in. WTF? I guess I'll see how it goes this winter, everything seems to be OK.
  6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

take the rams off the plow. see if you can move the a frame by hand. if you can there is nothing wrong with the plow. if you can not, the a frame is binding.
    if the problem is not in the plow, it is in the pistons. check then with a straight edge to see if they are bent. bent angle pistons are a common problem.
  7. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

You may have a leak that only leaks when under high pressure. Angle the plow all the way left and get someone to hold the switch for ~5 seconds, look for leaks. Then repeat for angled right.

My e47's always leaked from the seal on the lift cylinder. This is expecially so when you need to emergency fill with ATF, which will foam.
  8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

if you are using a slick stick get a spare, next time it acts up try it, they are noted for problems if too rough on it