1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E47 adjustment question

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by OMGWTFBBQ, Feb 9, 2015.

1. OMGWTFBBQ

OMGWTFBBQ Member

Can anyone tell me what the 2 adjustments on an E47 do. I know the one on the right side standing in front of the unit, or drivers side of the valve body is the crossover. I presume screwing it in, makes the crossover take more pressure before it activates. The second is on the back side of the Pump. I'm guessing this must be a pressure adjustment for pressure coming out of the pump. I'm having a lot of leakage from the crossover valve, and I'm not even plowing with it much at all. Mostly its just up and down so I can travel with the plow on the truck. I just went and rebuilt it with the o-ring kit for the ram and valves, but I still have what I would call way to much leakage, to the tune of a full quart in a months time. I also get air in the system somehow, and it gets down in the angle rams. I presume this is from when the reservoir gets low and I operate it. I just unscrewed the hoses from them and put new teflon tape on the fittings to rule that out.
    Thanks for any help.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

You are correct on the two adjustments. My guess is you either didn't get crossover back together correctly or an o ring got torn when it was put back together. You should see no fluid coming out of the crossover.

3. OMGWTFBBQ

OMGWTFBBQ Member

4. kimber750

5. plowsteve

plowsteve Junior Member

I work on these things for a living. Getting an X-over back together w/O tearing an O-RING can be a challenge. A lot of pumps come into the shop after the customer tried and failed.usually just one or more pieces installed in the wrong sequence or backwards. Be diligent when putting it together

6. OMGWTFBBQ

OMGWTFBBQ Member

I cant seem to get the cage out of the valve block. Is there some trick to get it out?

7. OMGWTFBBQ

OMGWTFBBQ Member

Cancel that. Got it out and one of the rings was bad. I never took the cage out initially, and probably messed it up putting that rod back in. The leak seems to have stopped.

Is it possible that air could have been drawn in through there? Its been getting air in the system somehow, and that's my only idea.

8. kimber750

Anything is possible but more likely that you where running out of fluid due to the leak.

9. OMGWTFBBQ

OMGWTFBBQ Member

I was running into air problems no matter the level of fluid. I would run it up and down and side to side several times before parking at night. In the morning, it always acted like there was air in it. My thought is maybe with no activity, the fluid would leak out the crossover, filling the pump with air causing this after a period of inactivity. I guess I'll find out in the morning if it does that, I'll know it wasn't the crossover causing it.

Either way, thanks a lot for the help! At the very least, the leak has been taken care of. I went and did just a little plowing, and not a speck of blue fluid to be seen!

10. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

when you have air in the angle pistons, it will turn into small bubbles throughout the oil in the piston with use. then when it sits it will turn back into one big bubble causing the pistons to act up again.

11. OMGWTFBBQ

OMGWTFBBQ Member

Yeah I figured that myself. I have bled the angle rams multiple times and even when I'm sure there is no air in there, it acts the same. That explanation does not apply to the lift ram though. The air should rise up out of the oil and not be sucked back into it I wouldn't think since it pulls from the bottom of the "tank".

12. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the only way i have ever found to get the air out of the angle pistons is to remove the hose and collapse the piston.
    then hook the hose back up and fill the piston with the pump.

cycling the pistons back and forth just moves it around in the pistons.

13. kimber750

Have never had an trouble getting air out of the rams. Keep plow as low as you can. When angling run the pump against the relief for a second at the end of each angle. Put plow down and let air separate from fluid for a few minutes before checking/refilling.