1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E-60 Power Issue?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by brlabrune, Dec 31, 2007.

1. brlabrune

brlabrune Junior Member

I am having an issue with a plow that i just purchased and have installed. My truck is an 80 Dodge W300 that has a unique Starter Solenoid. There is only a single post on it, so consequently that is where i would have to put the power cable from the E-60 pump, which i do not believe i can do as i tried and it just ran and ran. I suspected that there was something wrong as it would not quit running, so i took the pump off of the frame and pulled it apart for inspection. Other than having to clean the corrosion out, wire brush the motor brushes, and replace with new fluid, i noticed that i could clockwise turn the pump by hand easily, but if i counter clockwise turned it, it would stagger. Is this right? I put the motor on my car start-charger to make sure it would work OK, and it does, but when i put the Fenner motor on the pump and filled with fluid, it would turn very slowly. I do not know if that is right either. I have the touch pad for it, but can only hear a solenoid when i hit the right arrow, or down arrow. Does that indicate a solenoid issue? i guess here are the four questions i have:

What do i do about the power wire, do i use an external solenoid with two posts, or run constant power?:gunsfiring:
    Is the internal pump ok by what i have explained?:dizzy:
    Are there common problems with the touch-pad?:redbounce
    Does it sound like i have a solenoid or touch-pad issue?

I apologize for all the questions, as i have had Northmans in the past with zero issues, and now the Meyer is a bit of a challenge. I appreciate any help given.:waving:
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your not familiar with the Meyer stuff, go through this manual first, it will clear up most of your questions on your issues.

http://www.meyerproducts.com/upload/forms/1-667 R7.pdf

The motor ran constantly because you connected it directly to the battery with no under hood solenoid, so of course it's going to run since you have no way to control the battery power to the pump. You need a dedicated solenoid for that...

The gear pump should feel exactly like you described when turning it by hand, so there's no problem there.

The touch pads do have problems so if you want it to be reliable, you may want to consider swapping it for the older style single joy stick, or the twin toggle set up. The TP's cause more headaches than their worth as far as ease of use vs reliability goes..

Again, once you get more familiar with your Meyer setup by studying the manual in the link, you'll be able to much better understand how they work and how to go about solving any issues you have with it.
  3. brlabrune

brlabrune Junior Member

B-B- I appreciate the response. I have purchased a meyer solenoid off of ebay to hook between the motor and the battery, and am pleased to hear that the pump is operating properly. I have downloaded the E-60 manual off of the Meyer site and studied it as it is what i used as reference to take it apart. I noticed that the controller had something "rattling" around in it, so i took the rear cover off of it and there was a small capacitor looking piece that had broken away from its solder spot on the chip board, so i imagine that is what was wrong with only being able to hear the solenoids pop when i hit the right, or down arrow. Do you know, will the "Slik-Stick" work for this model? It looks like something that i could fab to the end of my shifter and use. Also, is there any common problems with the E-60 that maybe i should prepare for and buy the extra parts ahead of time? The model plow that i have for this is the CP9.0, or atleast that is what i was told. Thanks Again, Happy New Year!

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure you can swap the TP for a slik stik set up (and a very good idea IMO). You'll need to swap the control harness also as the slick stick won't plug into the TP harness..

The E60's have plenty of common issues...(probably why Meyer finally discontinued them a while back)

If you search around here in the Meyer forum you'll see the most common problems that they have..like corrosion between the motor and sump base, valve/coil problems, lift ram leaking down, and freezing up due to water contamination to name a few.
  5. brlabrune

brlabrune Junior Member

Would the rubber cover protect against any of these problems caused by the elements? I can buy one for $35.00, maybe a good idea?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, just makes the corrosion problems worse as it traps any moisture that gets in between the cover and the pump... The ONLY way they work is if you douse the pump down with Fluid Film and then put the cover on... but you still have to pull the cover off and clean it out every so often.. and it makes it a royal pain to work on the pump with it soaked in FF :cry:
  7. brlabrune

brlabrune Junior Member

That make sense. I thought about using chassis grease around the seals and the areas vulnerable to water, but it sounds as if frequent maintenance is the best thing. I really appreciate all the help you have supplied to me. Happy New Year B-B!

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad to help :salute:

You hit the nail on the head in reference to preventative maintenance as being the key. The E60's need good PM in order to be dependable.. fluid flushes, filter cleanings, keeping the system as water tight as possible, and occasionally removing the motor to clean any corrosion from the mounting surface will go a long way it keeping it as reliable as it can be.