1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E-60 fluid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Uncle Barnaby, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Uncle Barnaby

Uncle Barnaby Junior Member

Hey Guys
    While browsing this site I notice people debating
    between using Meyer fluid or transmission fluid.
    I was just wondering because since I bought
    this plow E-60(4th year) I've been using Hydraulic
    jack fluid. It has never had a problem.
    Does anyone think there should be a problem?
    Thanks
    UB:eek:

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

stick to hydraulic fluid add some rubbing achcol to it or mystery oil its find i never froze my e47 change those pump screens :drinkup:

3. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

Viscosity at low temperature (slows plow action) and icing in the fluid are the two concerns beyond fluid compatability with the seals. If it works continue to use it. I have switched from Arctic blue to tranny fluid this year. We'll see how well this works for me.

4. Boots_R_On

Boots_R_On Junior Member

Meyer oil already has an anti-icing agent in it.

5. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

Boots, I agree with your statement.

here's a dumb question: transmission fluid runs in small lines from the tranny to the radiator. during really cold weather wouldn't it freeze if there was moisture in the fluid? If it did freeze how would the tranny operate? sluggish, hot due to no flow to the radiator, not at all? The lines are far enough away from the engine they may never warm up and thaw out if frozen.

6. Boots_R_On

Boots_R_On Junior Member

Depends on what your driving. I know that a 2003 will not tend to do that. What do you think? Thats like asking me if a tree falls in the woods and there is no one around, does it make a noise.

7. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

well, if a tree fell and stopped the flow of your tranny fluid to the radiator I think you'd hear noise....that of an overheating tranmission grinding to a stop:D

like I said this is just a question. are the deicing agents in the high $$ fluids a marketing thing or reality. I have been buying the Arctic Blue for years but wanted to try regular transmission fluid to see what would happen.

welcome to plowsite.
    :waving:

8. yellowpoly

yellowpoly Junior Member

My local distributor went to a Meyer service school and said that Meyer fluid is made by Castrol and is really quality stuff. I guess that they also make a flush and storage fluid that is supposed to be good too.

9. Boots_R_On

Boots_R_On Junior Member

Keep o.e.m. in your equipment.
    Use what the directions say unless your stuck.

10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

We made the switch last year to Arctic blue fluid after previously using Dexron III, we notice a difference as the night went on, the fluid didn't seem to slow the pump down. The ATF seemed to as it got cold and frozen. The blue fluid is not that much more expensive than atf, so to me it makes good sense. Not to mention, if there is a blue puddle under the truck, you know what is leaking.

11. Boots_R_On

Boots_R_On Junior Member

Meyers and Buyers is BLUE.