1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E-60 cylinder stuck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by AboveTheCut, Dec 10, 2006.

1. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut Junior Member

ok. i'm kind of new to plowing so i dont know too much about pump/cylinder maintenance. today i go to attach my plow to move it. press down button to float like always, go around to compress cylinder and to my surprise its stuck. i finally get it to move about 3 inches. lots of crc on the cylinder. i hit the up button and all it does is click. i didn't want to screw anything up so i decided to quite. im sure the it needs some service but not really sure where to start. never thought i would say this but i'm glad its not snowing yet.

2. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Check for corrosion in the pigtail plug that connects it all to the battery etc.

Connect it, disconnect it, reconnect it...wiggle it....see if that helps.

If thats it.....Id get rid of it and hardwirs the pump. I hate thiose quick disconnect pigtails. I hardwired mine.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is it a classic mount or an MDII? (like in LLM's pic above) Sound's like a ground issue.Check your ground cable at every connection from the battery all the way to the pump.
  4. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Lift Cylinder

If you don't get it figured out give me a call. I'll walk you through some trouble shooting or you can bring it down and we'll check it out.
  5. AboveTheCut

classic mount

i would also think it was something electrical since it won't lift but i cant get it to compress either. right now the cylinder is extended to full lift. i hld the button down until the float light comes on. i then try to compress the cylinder mnaually and nothing! i could almost hang on it before it moved 3 inches. i keep the cylinder up when not in use. i always (in the past) push it down manually and hook up the chain and then lift partially to finish putting the blade on. am i going about this wrong?
    i have not changed the fluid since i got it. i know now this was a mistake. im still learning. i think i am going to try to drain the fluid tomorrow and refill.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You wont be able to "compress" the cylinder either if it doesn't have ground.The valves on the pump need ground to operate.That's why I recommened to you to check all your grounds.
  7. AboveTheCut

sounds good

thanks, i'll give that a try tomorrow. i appreciate the help and i will let you know what happens.