1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E-58H problems

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by bronco69, Feb 8, 2010.

1. bronco69

bronco69 Member

Hey B&B,
    You have been very helpful in the past with E-60 problems that I have had so I thought I would try you on E-58 problems. This year I upgraded all three of my pumps to E-58H because I have heard that they are supposed to be the latest and greatest. So far I have had to replace two Amatek motors with Iskra motors because they just stopped working and all three of the pumps tend to have quite a bit of fluid loss at the wiper. Is it common for them to leak alot of fluid? Also during the storm that we had this weekend one of my pumps started sticking when it angles to the left or the right. It seems like if you angle it all the way it tends to jam up in either direction, but if you let it sit for a moment it will angle again. I just put brand new Meyer OEM angle rams on it last week and when I noticed this issue I swapped the C valve and coil with a good pump but it is still doing it. I pulled the crosover valve and found that the larger O-ring was torn so I plan on getting a new one in the morning. Could this be my whole issue or is there something else that I am over looking. I am still trying to familiarize myself with these pumps so any advice you can give me about them would be great. Thanks.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds to me like you got a batch of bum units, because no you shouldn't be replacing motors and no they shouldn't be leaking out the wiper seals already since they were fresh this season. Did you purchase them brand spankin' new...or as rebuilds? I'd be looking for some warranty work from the dealer.

3. bronco69

bronco69 Member

I purchased them as "Like New" units. Supposedly they were sitting on a shelf for a few years. By looking at them everything appears to be brand new but I got them at a discount price with no warranties. Do you have any idea what would cause them to leak fluid out the wiper area? Bad wipers maybe? My biggest question though is what would cause the plow to get stuck if the plow is angled all the way to the left or the right. It doesn't matter. It's like it jams or sticks at full angle in either direction. It was doing it last week so I put new angle rams on it and its still doing it? Any ideas???? Maybe bad couplers or cross-over valve?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Fluid leakage from around the ram is caused by a defective/worn internal wiper O-ring. If you've ever had a Meyer top cap off before (I'm sure you have) it's the hard plastic round O-ring at the bottom of the top cap, the one that usually stays on the ram when you remove the top cap. Excessive wear on the guide ring (also in the top can) will also allow the ram to move around to much, thus the wiper O-ring can't do it's job if stripping residual fluid from the ram as it's extending.

The external wiper seal's job is only to wipe debris/water from the ram as it's retracting back into the power unit, it's not to contain the fluid inside the pump. Very common misconception.