1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E-57 problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by moron958, Jan 3, 2014.

1. moron958

moron958 Junior Member

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum, looking for some help with my E57 pump. I just picked up this plow used, with the intention on rebuilding this summer. Unfortunately it's demanding work sooner than anticipated. Here are my symptoms:

At first (PO told me this)
    -plow would drop if angled straight or right. will stay up if angled left. (will angle right/straight when in float).

Now....
    -plow won't lower. went to plow a few inches and it raised up fine, but would not lower.
    -Tried jumping A coil with 12V, small sparks at terminal (so it's drawing power?). Did not go down.
    -Did NOT check for magnetism (what's the best way to do this?)

What do I try next? A coil 'might' be bad or the A valve is stuck?

I'm a noob for plows, picked this up to do my drive and my friends/neighbors (not in it for business this year but will next year if I can rebuild it all - truck is unreliable also lol).

There are some other threads very similar to mine on this forum which is why I came here. Although one guy's plow does drop when jumping the A coil...so I imagine I have a different problem.

Thanks everyone!

-Eric

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Start by checking for magnetism, a screwdriver works fine. Just feeling if the screwdriver wants to stick to the coil.

3. moron958

moron958 Junior Member

Thank you, will do this first tonight! Now if only I can fit the plow truck in the heated garage...and avoid the single digit temps...

4. kimber750

Watch you feet, if you have a jack or something put it under the plow incase it decides to come down.

5. moron958

moron958 Junior Member

Just checked, solenoid is magnetic when jumped, so I'm assuming that means a stuck valve.

hmmm...another 3-6 coming my way tomorrow night haha.

6. kimber750

And still won't lower? I would pull the valve and inspect. Also check the filters since fluid has to pass thru the one filter to lower. If the plow is still raised support it before removing the valve.

7. moron958

moron958 Junior Member

So get this...heard a 'clunk' around 9am this morning and went out to check the plow out around noon. Plow had dropped on its own. Plugged the A coil back in and everything works as it had (sill means that it drops when I turn right or straight).

Today is just over 32F, so I'm wondering if I have some water in the fluid and something froze up as the previous few days were single digit highs.

Might try a fluid flush tonight/tomorrow - getting some snow and much colder temps again tonight.

Thanks for all the help!
    Eric

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

put some isopropyl dry gas in it, @1/2 ounce will do the trick

9. moron958

moron958 Junior Member

Thanks! I put an ounce maybe of Iso-heet (isopropyl based). Cycled the system a bit and seemed okay.

Today, plowed our 8-10" but when I first went out the pump started sounding higher pitched and wasn't able to pick up the plow. Took the chain off and cycled the ram by hand (when in float) and noticed some blow by/leak at a nut on one of the three studs on the ram. I know those are low torque (100inlbs) but I snugged them up just a bit more and that seemed to help.
    Pump then ran and after a few more cycles it was doing fine - not sure if that was just the Heet mixing into the fluid or if snugging up the bolts helped stop a leak.

Either way thanks everyone here for helping out, I know the pump needs a rebuild but hopefully this can last the rest of this season.

Off to do the neighbors!

-Eric