1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyer e-47

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by captfudd, Jan 11, 2003.

1. captfudd

captfudd Member

i have a question about the e-47 pump, i recently purchased this pump and it works fine but a slight amount of fluid seems to leak from the hole located in the front under the motor, i dont recall the other e-47's i have had doing this but they had other minor leaks from time to time and i may not have noticed it,
    any input is appreciated

1997 dodge 1500 ext cab

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Sounds like the pump shaft seal is leaking. That hole is to let moisture out of the motor, and fluid in the event of leaks. Much like the "weep hole" on automotive water pumps.

Part # 15581

~Chuck

3. captfudd

captfudd Member

so should i replace the seal now, or wait until the off season, we had two snow events here so far and i havent had to add alot of fluid, maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart

4. Chuck Smith

from NJ

I would replace it now. Once it lets go, your plow will be dead in the water, because the pump will not be able to build pressure. Have you noticed it moving slower, or not moving at all if you try to angle it while pushing a load of snow?

Just remember, with no pump pressure, the plow won't even raise to get it to a shop, or home.....

~Chuck

5. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I have never used one of these pumps before, but to me it would make sense to replace the seal now. Makes more sense to do it now when your using the plow then in the off season when it's just going to be sitting, besides I'm sure it's not an expensive part.

6. captfudd

captfudd Member

actually i have noticed nothing different, up/down & the angles seem to work just fine, to replace the seal sounds easy have you ever done it ?

7. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Honestly, I have never had to replace one. It does appear to be somewhat easy. IF I were to do it, I would drain the fluid while the pump is on the truck (easier to do). Then remove the whole power unit from the truck. Then on a bench, remove the electric motor being careful to hold the guts inside the motor. Then go to the bottom side of the pump housing and remove the 4 bolts that hold it together. Remove the pump, and you will see the seal. Replace the seal, and reassemble. Mount on the truck, top off fluid etc...

Maybe #1 plowtech can add a little insight? Anyone else?

~Chuck

8. captfudd

captfudd Member

thanks for the information, i will be looking into it over the next couple of days as it looks like another chance of snow later this week

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

fudd,
    You don't have to go through all the work of removing the whole unit from the truck. Just remove the motor and you will expose the pump seal. Easier to do right on the truck. Be carefull when you pull the bolts out of the motor as they tend to to come apart. Just hold end caps tight and stick the bolts back in the motor and put a couple of nuts on them till your ready to reinstall motor. :) ;) :) ED

10. captfudd

captfudd Member

so if i am understanding things here, the motor is the hardest part of the job, keeping the guts inside of it,

well tommorow (monday) i am gonna work on this, i will let you all know how i made out,

thanks for the help !

11. captfudd

captfudd Member

if anybody else on here has any opinions or can provide information it is well appreciated, i havent been on here more than 3 days and have found some very helpful people,
    thanks to those that have replied and to any future posters

12. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

chuck is right on the part # and the seal is $4.00 @ Angelos, # 10 is the seal that needs to be replaced ;)

~Nate~

meypumpseal.jpg