1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E-47

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by machinekiller, Jan 11, 2011.

1. machinekiller

machinekiller Junior Member

Well, it's like this: There's a Godzilla sized storm about to hit in the next 2 hours and the old Meyers ain't cooperating. When I hit the switch, the solenoid clicks and the meter shows power going to the motor. The connection on the motor was shot, so I just bought a new motor, $125.
    Nothing. Solenoid clicks, motor does nothing. A slight sizzling sound can be heard coming from under the hood. All connections look good. Did I get a bum motor, or is it something else?

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you have a bad connection at the battery. i just charged a guy $90 20 minutes ago to tighten his connections at the battery. he assured me they were tight over the phone. drove to my shop at 11:30 pm and guess what? loose connection at the battery. also check the connections at the solenoid. if they move at ALL they are loose.

3. machinekiller

Thanks for responding to my request for help. The monster storm dumped two feet of snow on us and I had to plow without being able to raise or angle the blade. Not fun. The thing is when I hit the switch, the solenoid works and power is being delivered to the motor. I've checked all connections with a multi-meter. The motor just sits there and doesn't make a sound.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you stated power is going to the motor but is it getting ground? sizzling under the hood is usually a bad connection.

5. MSplowing

MSplowing Member
    from Indiana

I would replace the solenoid under the hood if its clicking real loud.

6. machinekiller

But the solenoid is working. I've checked every connection for tightness, voltage, and continuity. The motor itself has only the hot lead. The ground is the body of the motor where it mounts. There is continuity between the motor body and the frame, indicating that the ground is solid. I don't know what else to check. Still the brand new motor does nothing but look good.

7. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

If you check continuity with an ohm meter you may get a misdiagnosis. Say you've got a battery cable you suspect is bad, but it reads 0 ohms. You may have one strand of wire still making contact and since your ohm meter only uses a small amount of current to test it, but obviosly it wont carry the load of a starter motor or your pump motor. A better test is check for voltage along the circuit WHILE IT IS UNDER A LOAD. Get someone to hold the switch, check for power (voltmter is best, test light works) to the solenoid, out of the solenoid, at the motor.... If you have power at the motor, check at the motor housing, a bad ground will show battery voltage on th housing. Say you get 12 v on the motor housing, check at the pump itself and so on.

8. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

there should be a stud on the back of the unit, for a ground cable, I run mine right to the battery. It shouldn't ground through the frame.

9. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

You can get motors with or without the ground stud, if it has one, the same will apply. If you had a bad connection at ,say the ground cabe at the battery, then it would show 12v at the motor on the ground cable and the motor housing. (with the circuit loaded)

10. machinekiller

I'll agree that everything seems to point to a bad ground. To eliminate that possibility, I ran a lead directly from the body of the motor to the battery. Now there is power at the motor and a solid ground. Still nothing.

11. wildplow

wildplow Member

dumb question? dose the pump have oil? maybe its working but has no hydraulic pressure do to low fluid...just going out on a limb here trying to eliminate any thought

12. machinekiller

Not a dumb question at all. Thing is, even with low or no fluid, the motor will still run, it just won't get the pump to work.

13. machinekiller

Finally, I had no choice but to dismantle the motor and, as I suspected, the motor is bad. There are signs of an internal short and two of the brushes are burned. The lesson here: be careful not to buy cheap aftermarket junk. Be sure to buy genuine Meyer replacement parts.

14. wildplow

wildplow Member

that sucks, sorry to hear that ......

15. machinekiller

The heck of it is, I'm told to buy local, support your local businesses. So I did, and this is what I got. If I want the genuine article, I have to order it online. Go figure.