1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E-47 Will not go down

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snelson1978, Nov 11, 2014.

1. snelson1978

snelson1978 Junior Member

I have came to the end of my road with this. I have an E47 plow that I have been working on getting going for winter. The pump on it has been replaced, the valve for down has been replaced, there is power to the "A" coil, however, the plow will not go down.
    I have put the plow on and no dice. The plow will go up and angle in both directions but, it will not go down. If we pull the drain plug it will go down. If I take the valve out I can manually move the ram up and down with ease. I can also get the plow to go down most of the time if I take the vent cap off.
    We have also drained the fluid and replaced with fresh fluid before starting.
    Any help on this would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Did you test for power and/or magnetism at A valve? What controls are you using?

3. snelson1978

Yep

There is magnetism at the coil. We are using switch controls.

4. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Did you check to see if the spool moves when you hit the switch?

5. snelson1978

Please explain what you mean by SPOOL. I can tell you that when the switch is put in down you can hear the valve clicking.

6. kimber750

Pull a valve and make sure you can move the internal piston. Use a small pin in the bottom of valve, it should spring right back and move roughly 1/16-1/8". The vent part is bit confusing, it should at least drop a bit since if vent is plugged it would create a vacuum in reservoir.

7. kimber750

And are testing down with plow hooked to lift ram, they can be hard to push down sometimes without the weight of the plow pulling it down.

8. snelson1978

Yes we did test the valve and it does plunge and spring back. I read on a different post to open the vent cap and see if the ram will lower and it does lower with the vent cap off.

9. snelson1978

Have tested both plow on and plow off. No dice.

10. kimber750

So if it works fine with vent off, replace the vent.

11. snelson1978

I shall try that and see what happens and post the results.

12. kimber750

You can also check the filters, believe one is on the downstream side of A valve.

13. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

I you call it a valve, the little part that moves inside the valve body also known as a spool.

14. snelson1978

Okay everyone here is an update. We replaced the valve, and vent cap. Now there is a new problem. The plow now will not raise the blade. Will not even pick me up @ 170 pounds. It will raise with no weight on it and you can push ram down by hand. Any thoughts. Plow would lift blade prior to replacing the valve, just would not go down.

15. kimber750

Bad A valve or O rings

16. snelson1978

It will stay up without weight. Once you put weight on it goes down. Before changed the valve it would go up and hold. Now it will not go up at all. Left and right angles work just fine. But once the ram gets weight on it, it stops raising.

17. kimber750

Did you put a new A valve in? Were the o rings in good condition? Was the hole for the A valve clean? Is the check ball still in place under the B valve? Put the old A valve in, does it raise and stay up now?

18. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Wow there is still a E-47 around.... On my E-60's always replaced everything, motor, valves, and coils, cross over valve. Find them cheap on ebay.... It got old year after year.. 3 years ago i finally sold all my meyer's (still have a nice E-60 pump for sale on C list) Switched to all boss plows and 1 western. It's been great, plows are maintenance free.
    I feel in this business you have to have nice equipment, can't let you down when the snow flys.

Not like runnin old mowers when they break you can come back tomorrow to finish the job

19. kimber750

Look at the amount of posts in Fisher, Meyer, Western and Boss thread. Who has the most posts looking for help? Western. Which has the least? Meyer.

Come back and show us a pic of your 30+ year old boss plow if there is anything left. :drinkup:

20. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

LOL.... Thats because nobody runs meyers