1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E-47 Power Failure

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by notaclue, Dec 21, 2004.

1. notaclue

notaclue Junior Member

Hello,
    Was starting out on my first plow job yesterday and as I was finishing up I lost all power going to plow. This is mounted on a 95 Wrangler. When I say no power, I mean it went from being in plow mode to non plow mode. Plow light went out and reverted back to headlights. No power,clicks, plow fortunatly in up posistion, so could get back. Looking at the E-47 diagram, it appears to have a standard type of solenoid attached to firewall which has the battery positive on one side, and the other going to the motor. Also appears to be a fusable link between the ignition key to the switch panel. I was planning on investigating these 2 items today. Was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem, and if I`m heading in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tx

2. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Ill bet where ever your picking up 12 volts to power is going to be your prob. Like you said its prob a fuseable link but its going to be in your trucks wire harness. Good luck...Rob

3. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Check to see if you are getting power on the white wire going to the solenoid from your controller, if when you move the controller up, left or right, you are getting power to the solenoid, then the solenoid is bad. If you are not getting power on the white wire to the solenoid when operating the controller, check to see if you are getting power or 12 volts to the controller, this would be a black wire going to the controller, if you are getting 12 volts to the controller, you could either have a bad controller or a bad coupler that the controller plugs into. If you have a slick stick, either could be bad. I cut off the female coupler and put connectors on the wires and connected them directly to the slick stick. I have always had problems with the coupler and had to wiggle the slick stick to get it to work. Poor design!! There is also a fuse in the wiring harness about 2 foot from the coupler end of the wiring haarness, check that 1st. Hope this helps

4. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Also go to Meyers website and download a manual for the Electro Lift power units, Models E46, #46h, E47, E47h, E57 and E57h, the one manual covers all of them. It's about 50 some pages long, but it is worth every minute it takes to download. You can just about figure out anything if you have this manual and a volt meter.

5. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

meyer help

let us know how you made out checking the solenoid on both sides.
    Where are you getting your main power from? directly from the battery or
    some wire that was available. I just installed the same system and have it fresh in my mind.

6. notaclue

notaclue Junior Member

The current setup has both the positive & the negative coming off directly from the battery.

7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

On the switches itself on the dash check the white wire. Id bet you dont have any juice at that point. If not start looking for why not..Rob

8. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

I don't want to offend you.

when ever you or we trouble shoot something we run the risk of sounding condisending. so just let it ride. do you have a volt meter or test light? if you have a meter make sure the power is making it all the way to the solinoid. if it is then have someone or use gator clips to monitor the large wire on the other side of the solinoid. make sure you ground the meter well! when you tell the plow to do something the power goes into the small wire, this engages the contact and allows highamp power to flow through.so:
    1)make sure power is going to the otherside of the sol.
    2)if not check to see if the small wire recieves power when a comand is given to lift angle or what ever.

9. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

there must be a solenoid somewhere?

im guessing your power lead inside the truck fell off

10. notaclue

notaclue Junior Member

To all responded to my plight I want to thank you. Turnrd out to be the power wire came disconnected from the fuse panel.
    Merry Christmas to everyone.