1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyer e-47 motor just clicking when hitting switch

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by zzzman, Jul 24, 2009.

1. zzzman

zzzman Member

Hi everyone. new to the site and brandnew at owning a plow. first one ever. well after buying a whole plow setup, and putting another 400.00 into have the frame all reworked to fit on my truck. i hook up the controls to the pump. and all i get out of it is a clicking sound from the motor. any idea's would be great. thanks

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I have an idea. You hooked it up wrong. :jester: Sorry dont know Myers

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check all the connections particularly the grounds. then check to see if the 122 volt motor solenoid work properly. here is a manual with a troubleshooting guide.

http://www.meyerproducts.com/upload/forms/1-562 R16.pdf

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

open the hood, take a pair of jumper cables and hook them to the battery pos and neg. put the neg on the motor ground and the pos on the motor pos stud. does the motor run?
    if yes, the solenoid is bad. if no, the motor is bad.

please update on outcome.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And I wouldn't recommend using a standard 12 volt automotive test light for checking one of those. :D

6. zzzman

zzzman Member

thanks for all the info i'll try tomorrow if i get time and update the results

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you have a volt ohm meter make sure you are getting 12 volts at the + motor terminal. Make sure the ground connection is present too. If both are present I would think the motor is toast.There is an end cap that is available to try to fix the motor problem. It has the motor brushes in it. Test it and let us know what you find. We can then walk you thru it.

8. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member

Or a 12 DC V test light. Does the motor have a good ground? Power getting to motor?

9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Pretty sure hes gotten it taken care of since this is from JULY!!!

There is a date in the upper left hand corner of every post that tells you when the last time someone posted in the thread.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Odd, swear an automotive test lamp and a 12V DC test light are in fact the very same thing. But then again what do I know, I'm just here for the comradery...

11. no lead

can i be a comred too? not to correct you but a test light is for ac. most trucks have an altrnator witch makes alternating curent, thus ac not dc. dc is in houses i think.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Now you're just going to confuse him. :D

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Considering this thread is four months old, I'm guessing the OP is all set.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Actually, the alternator is a three phase AC powerhouse wesport

15. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member

When one side is neg. Black & other side is Pos. Red That is DC. 12 V or 24 V DC
    When wire is Black power. When wire is White Natural. & A green or bare wire is ground That is AC house. 110 / 120 AC V or 220 / 220 AC V

16. no lead

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

17. no lead

18. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Ill quote a past target here,

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

NEVER assume electrical status of ANY wire based on "common" color conventions. This is particularly dangerous in residential/commercial/industrial wiring. Red is a common color for hot wires in 120/240 resi circuits, or three phase circuits.

I would worry about posting off-topic jibberish, but this thread was brought back from the dead by someone else.

20. zzzman

zzzman Member

thanks but fixed the issue