1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E-47 Main pin sheared

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by eriklane, Feb 23, 2014.

1. eriklane

eriklane Member

A) How do I get the old one out, it's rusty...and b)where do I get a new one?

I have no torch. Was thinking I'd drill the center out and then try destroying it by chiseling it to death...

Talking about the 7/8" heavy pin that goes from the plow body through into the A frame. Right now my plow is up on the right side and laying forward some.

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i use an air chisel to drive seized pivot pins out. that may work for you. i have never had a center bold seize like that though.

3. fhafer

fhafer Member

It sounds like he is talking about the pivot pin that goes from the moldboard to the sector frame. If one is broke I've always cut the other one, get the sector frame out of the way, and heat & beat the old pins out. Same process for getting the pin halves out of the sector. You can buy new greasable pins fron Smith Brothers as well as many site sponsors. Good luck, this is a bear of a task.

4. eriklane

eriklane Member

Yeh, was hoping for an easy answer LOL. It's the pivot pins. Right side one is broke, left is ok. Good thing it's almost March, but, not relishing this task. Plow/truck sat for 8 years before I got it free. Plowed 3 years, never knew there was a pin there...unfortunately, no grease zerk on these so, how would one even keep them greased if they weren't removed yearly for a checkup?

Sounds like BFH time as I have no torch...How about the portion inside the 'cover', or whatever it's called...the portion on the A frame are easily heated, the other piece is quite protected with those covers...

5. fhafer

fhafer Member

It sounds like you have a C series plow with the pivot tube boxed for strength. The ST series plows have an exposed pivot tube.

For those I've cut the remaining pivot pin, removed the sector, then used a hydraulic jack to push the pins out. You'll need to block off the opposite side pivot tube/box. Go slow! You'll also want to soak it in PB Blaster, or Deep Creep, or WD40... which ever brand you favor most.

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

check around with your local weld shops...im sure one of them have done the repair before....once apart you can try a bfh but without a torch it may be in vain

7. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I have had them stuck so bad even a torch and a BFH did not work. Agreed if you can't get it take it to a weld shop. They cut the old ones out and replaced for like $100

8. fhafer

fhafer Member

After I got mine out I started using marine grade wheel bearing grease (the blue stuff) to pack the pivot tube with. I also use the newer style pivot pins with the zerk fitting on the end and grease them with marine grade wheel bearing grease. I pull them and grease them every Spring. It has worked well for me the last three years. An ounce of prevention...

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Take it to a pro and get them to do it. use the greaseable pins. long before you fight the sucker out, maybe damage the tube getting it out, hone the tube to clean the rust out, etc. they could have replaced the tubes and you have all new stuff ready to go.

10. eriklane

eriklane Member

What about the box? Have to be all cut out with a torch?

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yes just open up the box, not a big deal for an experienced repair/fabrication welder.

You could be glad, they tend to be full of rust and sometimes water. Lots of time the metal box is pretty much rotted from the inside out.

Whatever you can cut, you can weld back together.

12. eriklane

eriklane Member

Neighbor has a cutting torch. Time for some surgery.

13. eriklane

eriklane Member

How can I know what one to purchase? RCPW.com shows multiple housings and pins...

14. leolkfrm

start by using a recip saw and cut the other pin in the middle where the plow pivets at frame

15. leolkfrm

16. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

penetrating oil and an air chisel. i have had them seized solid and still drove them out.

17. eriklane

eriklane Member

Does this help you know what type I have? 4 springs and 6 ribs total I think.

BeforePlow (528 x 396).jpg

18. fhafer

fhafer Member

Meyers C-8