1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E-47 lowering problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Gbettner, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Gbettner

Gbettner Junior Member

I've been monkeying with this damn thing for a while now. I have evrything working but the lowering function. I decided to purchase a new a coil and valve assembly but wanted piece of mind that was definately it before buying more parts. I decided to take the needle valve completely out of a valve and reinstall to make sure it dropped quickly after raising. It did but VERY slowly (15-20 sec to drop completely) if I unscrew the A valve with socket while fully raised it drops like a rock as soon it's almost completely out. Can somebody with experience assure me a new A coil/valve assembly will cure my problems or could I have a blockage or clog somewhere?

HELP ME!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Cleaned the filters lately? If so then it sounds like it has a partially restricted passage . Time to drain the fluid and blow it out.

3. Gbettner

Gbettner Junior Member

I took out filters and halfassed blew out with air hose ( I did notice they were partially collapsed but clean looking) , I've had the block off and completely blew out every thing including the crossover valve, took apart and cleaned all valves and installed new quick couplers. During all this I've went through a gallon of hyd. fluid so far so I've actually managed to flush out the pump with new fluid several times. I'll check filters again as soon as I get some more fluid. I still have to bleed the rams anyways. I think I have a ton of air in em cause I can push back and forth when hooked up........ I hope this won't be my next head scratcher. Thanks B&B

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The filters are probably ok then. Drain the fluid and remove the A valve and blow the passages out with compressed air. One heads over to the reservoir and of course the other to the lift ram.

If you have the fill plug removed you'll feel the air being expelled from it as you blast it through the port in the side in the A valve cavity. The other you'll have no way to know unless you disassemble it, unless the lift packings are well worn then the air may extended the ram slightly.

5. Gbettner

Gbettner Junior Member

I blew out A vale passages after taking out A valve and both filters. I could blow through passage to resivoir and the other passage went out through the left side filter hole. I tried blowing right side( as you look at from the front of truck) filter hole but no air would go through. I either have a blockage or it's just because it goes to a closed B or C valve.
    I found a guy on craigslist who will give me a BRAND NEW complete Avalve and coil assembley for $40.00. I'll pick it up Thursday and post results.

6. Gbettner

Gbettner Junior Member

She's all fixed! put an A valve and new coil in after blowing out all passages and pump works great now.
    Note to self......Don't stick blow gun in right hand filter hole and pull trigger while looking at B valve hole in block up close, bad things happen.
    Thanks for the guidance B&B, I now have a fully functional,freshly painted E-47/ 7'6 blade setup ( with a spare complete blade for parts) for a total investment of...................................$420.00!:nod:

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear you're all fixed up. :salute:

Oh, and you can't fully appreciate the feeling of plow fluid until it's dripping from you're eyes. Been there many time. :D