1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer e-47 Hydraulic Issue

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mikedefelice33, Nov 18, 2013.

1. mikedefelice33

mikedefelice33 Junior Member
    from 01880

I bought a plow set up for my '95 Wrangler a few weeks ago and haven't been able to figure out why its not working.

Its an e-47 pump with standard 2 paddle controls (up/float) & (left/right)
    When hooked up, none of the hydraulics move. I can hear the solenoids click, and all connections have continuity.

Here is what I know:
    Two of the three (B&C) solenoids have magnetism when you push the controls. The A solenoid has little to no magnetism, even when I take it off and bench test it. I have not been able to get the motor to spin.
    There is fluid in the pump at the proper level.

Do you need all three solenoids to make each component of the pump work?
    Is there a way to manually test the pump motor? I popped it apart and the brushes seem to be in good condition.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like motor is shot. Try using a set of jumper cables from batt to motor to see if it goes. Watch out cause the blade is going to go left. If motor works it is most likely the solenoid then.
  3. mikedefelice33

from 01880

I got the motor to spin. Seems to work just fine. I tested it on and off the unit and it spins in both settings.

Off the truck and running off a small 12v SLA battery, I can get all three on-pump solenoids to click on and off and can get the motor to turn.

The 4th solenoid mounted on the truck also works as I switched it out for a new one initially.

When running the motor and causing a solenoid to click on, shouldn't the up/down piston go up when I do the right solenoid? Do the valves get stuck? or should they be good if I hear them clicking?
  4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

just because it spins off the pump doesn't mean it will spin on. If the motor is still off the pump try spinning the pump shaft, you should be able to turn it.

If you have the motor running on the pump you need to energize the B valve to go up. Yes Meyer valves are famous for not working. Will be easier to figure out with the pump hooked up since default on E47 is left. If you hit up and it goes left B valve is issue. If you hit up and nothing happens A valve is stuck open. If you hit right and it goes left C valve is the problem.

easiest way to test valve is with small allen wrench. Use it to push the piston up inside the valve, it should spring right back. The piston moves a 1/16-1/8". Also check your filters to make sure they are not clogged.
  5. mikedefelice33

from 01880

I hooked everything back up after making sure the connections have good continuity and a little dielectric grease....

Everything seems to be working. One of the left/right seems to be slow to respond... which I'm hoping is just the solenoid crapping out, which I have in the mail.

Thanks for your help!
  6. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Solenoids rarely go bad. Its probably the valve sticking.
  7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

flush the system and fill with fresh plow oil.....