1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E-47, Having Problems Raising...Pls Help!

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Pushinsnow81, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Pushinsnow81

Pushinsnow81 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I have a Meyer E-47 Pump. When i first purchased the pump and installed it the power angle left and right worked ok. Raising it was the issue. It would raise but very slow. Then the wiper seal gave out and started leaking as well as leaking from the little weep hole under the electric motor.

So i bought a master seal kit, new electric motor, new filters, new pressure relief bolt, and of course fluid. Couple weeks ago i installed most the seals in the kit for the pump assy. Still same thing the thing would not raise!

Today i installed the new motor, checked pump shaft seal, changed filters, and put in the new filters. Still the same dang thing :realmad:. It is ony raising until the ram starts to have to really work and put on pressure. It wont lift off the ground! Just puts a little load on the truck cause the front goes down very little.

So i took the pump off and put it back on the bench. I took the A-valve out and replaced the seal, and cleaned the screen.

I am half tempted to take it locally and have it bench tested but before i did that id like to see what kind of responce and help i can get here.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Looking forward to your replies.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

usually when fluid comes out of the weep hole it indicates the pump is failing. you said checked the pump shaft seal? where? try putting a pressure gauge on it and see if it reads at least 1800 psi.
  3. Pushinsnow81

from Ohio

Well i emailed Meyer and a tech emailed back and said i may have a bad pump seal! The seal all the way at the bottom of the pump where the cylinder sleeve contacts the bottom!

I did not try a pressire guage however i did notice the very first time i hit the switch up after installing the parts today, i seen fluid spray up from the end of the hood as i was in the truck! When i got out and looked at the pump i noticed one of the bolts that bolts the top of the pump down was leaking! Looked like tiny air bubbles flowing through fluid! And it still wont raise. Has fluid has pressure but no lift!
  4. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

Try unhooking the chain and see if the lift arm raises completely without any weight on it. If it does its time to get a set of gauges on it and see what kind of pressure the pump is making.
  5. Pushinsnow81

from Ohio

The lift arm does raise completely without any weight on it!! I'll have to find my guages. What are the possabilities though? What could be wrong??
  6. no lead

lets clarify our terminology. the pump SHAFT seal is under the electric motor, that's why it leaks from the hole.

the meyer tech is probably correct, BUT that is not the pump seal. that is the cylinder base oring. easy fix now that we are on the same page. pull the pump off the truck and drain it.

remove the 3 bolts holding the cover on and remove it. pull the whole cylinder straight out. fish around in the bottom and pull out the o ring. inspect for cuts and tears or breakage. if its bad replace it.

now the tricky part. put the oring in the bottom and gently put the cylinder back in. make sure it is seating squarely in the base. if it's not straight it will damage the base. put the cover on and bolt it down.

in the seal kit there are 3 little white rings. put them on the bolts taper side down.
  7. Pushinsnow81

from Ohio

Sorry about the terminology! After replacing the electric motor i did notice the weep hole leak there stopped! It just seems i have tons of air in the system! Is that possable? Could that prevent the pump from raising the plow? The O-ring at the bottom of the cylinder is new and free from cuts or grime..
  8. eriklane

eriklane Member

Raising issues

I'm having the same problem...New seals throughout, new A coil and new B coil / B valve...full of fluid. Worked last night, tonight, won't raise. Filters clean. When I pulled the right most filter out, no pressure, but when I pulled the one in the middle/lower, it had pressure behind it. Sounds like it did prior when I thought my B solenoid was failing-runs somewhat slowly...Doubt it's the motor as it ran strong and lifted good last night. Only thing I wonder about is air in the lines.

Also, is it ok to let a plow sit in the UP position for long periods of time? Seems it shouldn't be...I have power to all solenoids and they all work. Outside of a full teardown, (done that 2x already), the flowchart isn't helpful because I don't have a gauge...
  9. no lead

air in the system causing malfunction is a myth. picture this. put your pump in the bottom of an empty bucket. fill the bucket with oil. were can the air be trapped? also think of a garden hose full of water with both ends disconnected. stick an air hose in one end and pressurize it. were will the water go? out the other end. picture your angle rams and hoses full of air. apply 2000 psi to the hose and were will the air go? out of the vent cap.

sorry for the rant. i see this mentioned here all the time. its not air. the top cap would explode under 2000 psi.

are you positive the oring is seated in the groove and the cylinder is seated on the oring correctly? it helps to have the rod about half way out of the cylinder when you install it.

eriklane, to you have magnetism on the b valve when you hit the raise function. i assume yes from your post. will your plow angle? does it sometimes lift instead of angle?
  10. eriklane

eriklane Member

Wont lift

Found that all solenoids and valves work by testing with a wire to positive battery. Took off motor, that spins fine also. Seems a problem then in the wiring. Pulled the 4-wire cable out and found it was wedged behind the radiator, and had somewhat crimped the black wire...Will continue testing this weekend.

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

Check your slick stick I had the same problems and it was the controller
  12. eriklane

eriklane Member

Electrical problems

Checked power at the stick-got it. Checked power in the cable, got it. Checked power at the ends of all of them, got it...What I'm not sure of now is that it may be a low battery. This truck sits. I don't drive it...I did to plow, but, noticed low battery due to using the plow. So, now charging it up and will see. What I may have to do is be sure to drive it for enough time for the battery to charge. I think what's happening is that I'm draining the battery down and then it wont lift and while it does run, its not enough to charge the battery and give me adequate power.

Test light inline was somewhat dim...not a full bright 12V bright light. So, on the charger over night and will see...(new battery, alternator, alt cables checked out and fixed earlier when I found a bad spot). I bet if I drove this thing regularly, it'd be fine.

Could be using it to plow a drive and letting it sit is a bad idea. May have to drive it at least once a week until spring...

Oh, and wiring to the valves shows they all click open...
  13. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

you could put a trickel charger on it when not in use
  14. eriklane

eriklane Member

Getting tired of this

Checked this am, no lift...Going to go through entire system again from elect. standpoint...May jumper a 12v source from my car so I dont run the battery in the truck down and see what gives.

Also, is it possible the system is now overpressurized from all my testing? Can I release pressure anyway? I did open both filters and the top-noticed no excess pressure...
  15. bskiball

bskiball Member

I am having the exact same problem. Goes up with no load but not with plow conected. Will be looking at it tomarrow and let you know if I figure something out that may help you.
  16. eriklane

eriklane Member

Lift issues

I'm sort of worried that due to all the crud I found in the sump, who knows now what's circulated through the system. I'd bled both cyls also and all fluid I could, possibly with the exception of the 2 lines. To find that much gunk is disconcerting, but, the prior owner may have run it for years that way, who knows...At this point I'm thinking that despite the fact that my B cylinder is working, it could be crudded up. I should clean it heavily and then retry. I also don't know about what can happen if some gunk is somewhere in the system doing this...