1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyer e-47 down position question

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by wavejd, Dec 31, 2008.

1. wavejd

wavejd Junior Member
    from boston

I have a freshly rebuilt E-47 that I installed this week (rebuilt by a professional - not me). All was working good for a few days (up / down / left / right). After using it a bit today during a storm, the pump got stuck in the up position. After doing a bit of troubleshooting, I was able to isolate it to the A-coil (I had a spare pump that I swapped them around on).

My question is that I have a Slip-Stik controller that when the vehicle is parked and running, I leave in the "down" position (not the middle neutral position). Is the any harm in leaving the switch in the down position (vs. neutral) ? I am not that familiar with Meyer so I am not sure whether there is anything I could have done to damage the A-coil.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the slick stick is hot all the time (rather than connected to a keyed ignition source like it should be) and you leave it in the float position your guaranteed to burn up A coils in short order.

3. wavejd

wavejd Junior Member
    from boston

Hi B&B - Thanks for the feedback. The Slick-Stik is wired up to a keyed ignition source. I am used to older controllers (i.e. simple switches) so here is another question: Once the vehicle is parked and idling with the blade on the ground, what is the recommended position of the Stick-Stik ? In the middle or all the way down (which I assume is what you mean by the float position). Thanks for putting up with the dumb questions....

Jim

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If its connected to a keyed ignition source then your good there...it doesn't matter if the switch is left in the float (down) position with the key off...

To prolong the life of both the switch and the A coil, only put the switch in float when your actually using it. Any other time (like when the truck is idle) flip the switch to the center (neutral) position to cut power to the A coil. No reason to power it unnecessarily as it only shortens its life. :waving: