1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer E-47 Angling Problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Erlee, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Erlee

Erlee Junior Member

Perhaps someone out there has the answer...

Plow will angle to right (pax) side but not to left (driver) side. (Raise & lower operational.)

All electric connections are solid and work and solenoids are operational. Seems that the driver side angling cylinder is under constant pressure and will not release fluid when angling plow to left. Also, although fluid seems to flow out of pax side cylinder when pressurized by pump, I don't know if pressure is sufficient. The C-solenoid shaft seems to be moving freely but... ? Could it be that a Relief Valve is stuck? If so which one should be checked first? If dissasembly of any valves is required, to replace o-rings, seals or whatever, can it be done while installed or is this a mandatory bench job!

I'm sure that at least someone out there has encountered the same problem, what was the outcome/remedy? What is the most common reason for this malfunction and can it be avoided?

Silly question, I'm reaching, but... is it possible that the cause is an obstruction or seizing due to icing of the fluid, moisture?

With an unusual whammer of a storm on Long Island, having just one piece of equipment inoperable puts a major strain on all other resources and people, as well as, maintaining good PR and service of accounts in a timely manner.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As you all know it: Equipment Down-Time IS Lost Money and right now it definitely holds true!

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Try replacing your Quick couplers on the angle cylinders. I had the same problem last year, and found the couplers were worn enough to not let the fluid pass through.

3. Erlee

Erlee Junior Member

Just replaced both couplings with brand new ones. Will check though to make sure that they are operating as they shoud.

4. Erlee

Erlee Junior Member

In case anyone is interested-
    Checked couplings and replaced male ends on hose with old ones... works like a charm.

On a more thorough inspection of fittings, found that new ones have a smaller diameter opening and check ball than originals. (Don't know if new sets are Meyer OEM brand or aftermarket since dealer sold them unpackaged.) Although the new set should have still worked, it didn't. Could be that they were not seating correctly and therefore passage remained closed or that the opening was too small and not providing enough flow volume of fluid. Also, added some dry gas and cycled fluid through all settings to alleviate an moisture and icing or congealed state of hydraulic fluid. No problems afterwards at 22F.