1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Drive Pro (pics included)

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by jefx, Dec 6, 2008.

1. jefx

jefx Junior Member

Hi. This is my first post here. I have ran many searches here on the Meyer Drive Pro plow with little success. There just doesn't seem to be much info about it. I figured I'd add some info for others who are interested in it. I operate heavy equipment for a living and have many years experience of snow removal with loaders and graders but this is my first venture into personal plowing.

I just recently had one installed on a '99 Ford Ranger 4X4. I am very happy with the set-up. I've only had 3 snows with it so far, and none more than 3 inches. I plow about 8-10 driveways and so far, it's only been for personal use....family, friends, neighbors etc. I have commercial insurance and I would like to take on some customers in the near future.

I chose the Meyer Drive Pro over the Suburbanite/Homesteader because I wanted something that could handle light commercial use. I chose it over the Sno-Way, because I personally don't like the idea of a poly plow (just a personal preference). The Meyer Drive Pro seemed to fit exactly what I wanted.

I was at first worried that it would have a problem with backdragging snow away from garage doors etc., but it exceeded my expectations. It does a more than adequate job, especially considering it's weight. I was also a little concerned about the pump speed, it is slower than I'm used to, but that turns out to be a good thing. I feel safer and more cautious plowing drives with the pump speed.

Time will tell how well it holds up, but it appears very well constructed and engineered. I'm looking forward to some heavier snows to give it a better work-out. It can be removed/installed in under two minutes with one person, but I found that a small rolling floor jack is needed for proper alignment as the plow doesn't have a built in jack. It also pulls some serious juice....I installed a 4D battery in the tool box and wired it into the stock battery. I may replace the 90 amp alternator with a 130 amp one in the future just for the extra juice. I also cranked the torsion bars a little to give the front end a bit more clearance, and I added three 70 lb sandbags at the tailgate for ballast.

Here's some pics courtesy of imageshack.com:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jefx

jefx Junior Member

more pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is what's left behind on the truck:

[​IMG]

3. BOMBER

BOMBER Member

What's the price?

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

Dont know if i like the cylinder hoses hanging out waiting to catch something

jr

5. jefx

jefx Junior Member

Price depends on who you know and where you go, just like every other plow it seems. By me, it goes anywhere from $3800-$4800 installed.

It weighs ~350 lbs and it's considered a commercial grade plow for light duty trucks and suvs.

As far as the hoses are concerned, the side rams can be rotated so that the fittings are facing upward, and the hoses can be zip-tied the the cylinder if it was a real concern. The side rams have 2 perpendicular mounting holes so they can be positioned however you chose.

Also the draw bar has two mounting positions. In the pics, the lift ram is positioned in the forward position, but by placing it in the rear position, you can get more lift for extra clearance.

6. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Nice little setup you got!

7. jefx

jefx Junior Member

Thank you!

I'm just trying to add a little info on a set-up that doesn't seem to have much.

From my in-site search results, these may be the first pics of the MDP posted here.

8. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

First I have seen

9. 02tundra

02tundra Junior Member

drive pro

i mounted one on an 02 tundra i will try to post some pics soon i also fell the hydralics are slow and plow also hangs low

10. Ida-Snow

Ida-Snow Junior Member
    from Idaho

11. jefx

jefx Junior Member

Not that it matters, but this thread (and pics) are over a week old;)

02tundra, it's nice to know that you feel the same way about the speed. At first, I thought mine might have a problem. It's something I've gotten used to and I've become pretty comfortable with the speed.

Mine also had low clearance. After cranking up my torsion bars (torsion bar adjustment is super easy on a Ranger), I was able to get extra lift out of the front of my truck. Then adding the rear ballast leveled it out pretty good. I now have at least 6" clearance at the lowest point with the blade in the air. The part that drags are the side ram bolts now. I'm thinking about flipping them upside-down so that the threads are pointing up and the head is pointing down, that'll give me another inch of clearance.

Using the rear position in the draw bar should also add clearance, however when I tried it, I discovered a clearance issue between the "jack stand" and a hydro hose. It can be easily fixed by using an angled hydro fitting to reposition the hose.

With all that said, I don't actually have any clearance issues after the torsion adjustments. I only drag on the fiercest angled driveways, and it's only the side ram bolts that drag.

12. Ida-Snow

Ida-Snow Junior Member
    from Idaho

oh snap! i was reading with beer goggles on....
    anyway, your pics are great too.
    i need to get that rubber top flap and look into crankin' my torsion bars. i also thought about flipping those bolts too.

been out drift bustin' twice already today.
    ..beats the sh%t outta the tractor.

13. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

Looks good
    I just got the lot pro 8'
    I like the extra weight and pitch
    maybe try drivepro on my 1500

14. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

looks nice...you sure that is a commercial grade plow for light duty trucks?? A ford f350 is considered a light duty truck.

15. jefx

jefx Junior Member

copy/pasted from Meyer's website:

16. jefx

jefx Junior Member

I don't know if it's wide enough for anything 1500/150 sized or larger. It would be fine for straight plowing, but it's only 72 inches wide at full angle.

I think it's designed more for trucks like Rangers, S10s, Colorados, Jeeps, Jimmys, Trailblazers, etc. However, I have seen a couple in my area mounted on a 150 and a 1500.

17. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

I was looking at some of those they the same as the 2 meter they made but still not as heavy again meyers trying to use advertisig to sell products. The 2 meter is a lite duty plow for small rigs and can do a great job. But under heavy snows or comm plowing they can bend we add some support on the sides to add some weight. Old post on reskin but you can see the same design. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=33130 this is what we run with the 2 meters we have 4 of them for trim work http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=24736
    It looks great on the ranger Ford guy here .......

18. BETHELSKIER

BETHELSKIER Senior Member

Nice set up.I was going to do that with are 00 Ranger and Boss sport duty for plowing drives.Good luck and keep the pics coming!

19. jefx

jefx Junior Member

fernalddude, thanks for the links, great job on that plow.......Where did you get those wings?

You've actually bent one?......Maybe the new Drive Pro has been engineered a little better than the older version. I don't see how you could bend one.

Just last week we had an ice storm here. I was cruising at about 35-40 mph in 4wd on an iced-over country road with the plow in the air. Sure enough, my rear end came around and sent me nose first into a deep ditch. The front right corner of the plow hit the backside of the ditch so hard it took a giant divet of frozen earth. The impact was hard enough to spin my truck sideways, and I thought I was gonna flip over. The plow saved my truck from some serious damage.

The "jack stand" also hit the ground after the plow popped up and out of the ground at impact. The "jack stand" got bent a couple inches to the left (nothing I cant bend back with a binder), but other than that, the Drive Pro is still in perfect condition.

The MDP took an impact like that (and saved my truck from damage as well) and drove away unharmed. So I don't know what you could possibly be doing to bend one.

20. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

You can get wings at just about any plow parts place. I was talking about the tons of force applied to the plow when its working. In some of the pics you can see where we have added extra support for the bow effect. Plus we also have over 1000 lbs of ballast in the rear the BII's load out at almost 4000 lbs. So thats a lot of force moving foward when you hit something. Breaking thru ice is the worst making a good run and hitting a good frozen patch sucks (ie. frozen drainage ditch ect.) something got to give.