1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Controller Problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by joeman, Jan 31, 2007.

1. joeman

joeman Junior Member

Hi ...I'm new to forum..wow what a resource!! I recently changed over a EZ mount classic from a 1987 Dodge to a 1997 Dodge Ram...plow is about 6 years old...changeover went smooth...( mounting carton from CPW..Thanks guys!)...HOWEVER!!..went into barn the other day..truck battery was dead..( pretty new battery)I jumped it with a 200 amp batt charger and got it running...when I went to raise plow..nothing..no light even on the controller ( smooth faced four button control with six pin square white plug)..checked the 10 amp fuse and it was blown , replaced it..when I switched the controller switch on it flashes overload light and blew fuse almost instantly, repeated again... with controller unplugged fuse doesn't't blow?..checked for shorts..can find none and it was working fine when parked a week ago..was wondering if a short is what drained the battery?..then read that it is recommended that power be to keyed power only..I screwed that up!.... there was a tap on an unkeyed fuse that I got lazy and used?..is it possible that I fried the controller with the jump? or an open solenoid drew down the battery enough that the voltage drop fried the controller?.....can I test the controller some how?...would a bad solenoid cause the "contoller fuse" to blow?..I tried unpluging the A B and C solenoid wires and the motor solenoid white ground...still blows fuse 9 which I think points at the controler again?) any suggestions would be much appreciated...I hate to pay for a new controller , plug it in and blow that one too!!...but its has worked for weeks before??? maybe a new harness?.........Thanks and Congrats on a great Forum...J

2. slclawn

slclawn Member
    from IN

Do you have a eletrical tester if you do run a contanuity test on the controler if you don't have one a harware store does should be able to get a cheep one for twenty bucks. Do you know how to a run contanuity test if not i can talk you through it.

3. joeman

joeman Junior Member

Thanks

I know how to do a continuity test on a wire... but wouldn't know where to begin with the contoller jack?

4. joeman

joeman Junior Member

Fried Controller

I bit the bullet and bought a new controller after all else tested OK..It was the controller... it was fried..be careful out there if you have to jump start your truck..unplug the controller to protect it..the only thing I can figure, other than pure coincidence is that I accidently left on the controller switch ( may be what kille dthe battery in the 1st place) and the 200 amp jump start fried the controller when I jumped the truck. Thanks for the help anyway!