1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer Classic Questions

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by zr900, Jan 15, 2012.

1. zr900

zr900 Junior Member

I was thinking about putting a plow on my 99 Silverado 1500. I have no first hand experience with meyer products.
    Are these decent plows for doing 10 driveways and helping a friend with his commercial lot?
    Plowing time would be about 4-6 hours per average snowfall.
    Is the asking price fair?
    How heavy is this setup?
    I am wondering if this looks like the correct mount for 99 up GM 1500's.

http://southbend.craigslist.org/pts/2787897457.html

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Looks like a ST 7.5. Pay very close attention to the pivot pins on the moldboard. These tend to rust then rip right off the plow. I have one of these plows and have no complaints about it. I have ran meyer plows for many years with very few issues. Price seems about par to me, not what I would consider a steal. The big thing would to have the pump gone over just to be sure everything is working properly.

Don't quote me but think these plows are in the 400-600 pound range.

3. zr900

zr900 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply.

Anything else to look for when looking at the plow?

4. kimber750

Rust holes, but looks to be in pretty good shape in the pics. Look over the wiring for splices or melted wires. Would be nice to see it in action before buying but that is not so easy when it is not mounted to a truck. Also go to Meyer site and download the install instructions so you have a good idea if any parts for the mount are missing. Meyer mounts can be very salty.

5. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

check the a frame for cracked welds and also look at the top and bottom mounting plate for cracks, these are easy enough to fix but time consuming.

6. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I have the same plow on my Dodge and have no complaints (but it is a 3/4 ton). Plow is a bit heavy but should work on your truck. Make sure you have weight in the bed... I also have the more powerful E-60 which is stonger than the E-47 but used E-47's in the past and are very easy to trouble shoot and cheap to fix. I would go there and when you see it offer him $1300 cash and show him the money. I wouldnt pay over $1500 for it. For the money you cant beat it and it will do any job you throw at it... Joystick is a plus, much better than touch pad in my opinion. Looks to be in real good shape.

Double check with meyer that the mounting carton is the same for all 1500 series in 99.

I would also put up a post in the chevy section and see how the 1/2 tons handle this type of plow.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  7. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Drill drainage holes at the bottom of the support rails for the moldboard . Stops the build of crap that gets into the seams

8. zr900

zr900 Junior Member

9. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

17138 should be the one you need

10. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

I paid 1500 installed for the same plow 4 yrs ago. The guy that sold it did the install

11. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I paid 1300 for a rusty st7.5 with an E60, bent a frame and the brackets to bolt it to my 92 F250.wiring, lights etc included... I thought I paid a fair price but didnt get a "deal"

12. zr900

zr900 Junior Member

Going to look at the plow today and was wondering if there will be a part # on the undercarriage so I can make sure it is the right one for my truck?

13. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I have never seen or heard of prt# on the mts. I think the best thing to do is go to the meyer site and pull up the diagram of the mount for your truck, print it out and take it with you.

14. zr900

zr900 Junior Member

Well went and looked at the plow and guy wouldn't budge on price. Plow needed new moldboard, cylinders were pitted and needed new hoses. Guess I am still looking.

15. kimber750

Moldboard didn't look that bad in pics, did have alot of rust on it?

16. zr900

zr900 Junior Member

there were a few dime size holes in it. Looking at the back of the moldboard was the worst. Nearly rusted out on the top.