1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer cable plow solenoid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nedplow, Dec 5, 2003.

1. nedplow

nedplow Junior Member

I wrote earlier about using an old Meyer electrolift T-5, and i was told I needed only a solenoid to get it working. Can anyone tell me if I can use a new "Buyer's replacement solenoid" for this old plow motor? They're only $7.50. In looking at the wiring diagram the new Meyer pumps have the control harness hooked up to through solenoid, but since my motor is cable activated I will not have any wiring harness hooked up to the solenoid...will it still work for me?

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Your MOTOR isn't cable operated, your PUMP valve is.

The motor is activated via that black button that the control lever hits when you push it all the way in. This wire goes to a soleniod, yes the Buyers will work fine. This switch activates 12v to the solenoid, then it completes a circut of a HD 12V to the pump motor.
  3. nedplow

nedplow Junior Member

black button?

I am a bit confused since I see no black push button on the pump I have. i don't have the solenoid yet, so if it's on that I'll understand when I get it.

The Electrolift came with nothing except the pump and motor i showed in my first post. The cables were all cut as well as the battery cables. I went to Checker and got a 12 foot long choke cable and connected that to the pump lever. I thought that would activate the pump if I pulled/pushed that in from inside the cab. If the cable is supposed to push a black button in this process, then I have installed the cable wrong. Does the cable go first to/thru the solenoid?
    Sorry for the uninformed questions, I really just want to make this thing work for this winter and then I'll save up for a newer model plow for next winter.
  4. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

The cable controls the valve for up or down plow position. When you move the cable for lifting the plow up you also have to activate the electric motor. If you use a choke cable you will have to add a separate switch to activate the solenoid.
  5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

You may want to call some older Meyer dealerships. They may still have these control lever/button combos as New Old Stock.

They were a lever with a garder tractor throttle type plastic knob at the top. It was hinged at the bottom. You pulled the lever out/towards you to drop the plow, and this pulled the cable and opened the valve on the hoist.

To raise it you pushed this lever IN towards the dash, this would close the valve, and when you pushed all the way in, the lever would hit a little black button which energized a solenoid under the hood, giving power to the motor and lifting the plow.

With your setup, you'll likely need two hands to do this (maybe not) but you will need some way of sending 12V to the hoist to run the pump motor.

Hope this clears things up for you.
  6. nedplow

nedplow Junior Member

Ok, got it now. I am definitely missing the lever that came with the pump. I'll try to find that through a Meyer dealer for now.
    thanks again for the help.