1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer belt driven pumps and such????

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Kentuckydiesel, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

I just bought a Meyer belt driven hyd. system which came off a Dodge. It will be going on my '79 W150. It uses rods that go through the firewall to control the valves. Is there anything I should know about these setups? Any weak parts that need attention? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Phillip

2. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Yes.
    Your local dealer will practically laugh at you.
    you will not be able to find parts.
    My pump broke and it was easier to upgrade to an e46 than to find a replacement pump.
    I found that my idle was too low to lift the plow so I had to lift while I was hitting the gas, which was strange because I'd usually be stopped at that point. You can try running the pump faster but then it might burn out faster, the ideal thing would be to run it off an A/C compressor clutch pulley so you could run it at a higher speed but shut it off when not being used.

I have a hydraulic block for one of these setups from my old Jeep if you find a need for it, get in touch with me.

If there was parts support for these systems they'd be great.

-Jer

3. bnewell

bnewell Banned
    from Ohio

I agree with Jer, get a used E-46 or E-47 or even an under-the-hood Monarch electric/hyraulic pump. You will have less headaches.

Brian

4. Kentuckydiesel

Kentuckydiesel Senior Member

I got it all hooked up yesterday, then after raising and lowering a few times, I drove about ten miles with the plow on, dropped it, and it wouldn't raise again. Angle still works great.
    Now if I can get this issue with the lift cylinder worked out, I'll be real happy with how it works. It's much faster than my grandpartent's F250 with a electric/hydraulic western pump. -Phillip

5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

old dodge

I had several of the old Dodge snow fighter and snow commander plow set ups. The service manual for Dodge also covered that unit. I don't know where you can get parts but I think I have the service manual here somewhere in garage. Was reliable and bullet proof. I only had one complaint. When you plowed for long periods of time your left hand got blisters.

Dave