1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer bashing

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Snowaway, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

So lets hear some facts good or bad. Whats the deal? Please only respond if you have actually used one for a length of time. I have only had mine for this season but it seems to be a good solid plow. Pain to hook up though (classic mount). Thanks guy's.

2. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I have 4 of them. I personally think that any plow will break/ break down... They are easy to work on, rarely do I have a problem that isn't easily fixed... Now I recently had a problem with a local distributor, I will never go back there, and for that reason will never buy another meyer plow... I am going to buy another plow b4 next season, looking for something a little heavier, hoping that it may scrape a little better. It will be a western, trying to decide between an 8' straight with wings or an 81/2 vee...

3. sbt1

sbt1 Member

Haven't plowed with one since the early 80's

so my experiences may not pertain today... but back then, the issues were a) not a very strong A-frame (had to weld one up once after it broke), and b) the receiver was very close to the ground, very easy to hit obstacles when driving on dirt roads/no roads/etc.

On the other hand, they have the best-designed shoes I've seen... angled such a way and with the vertical bar attached at the front so they swivel and ride up over things, instead of the flat round shoes others use.

4. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

I bought my dodge with the mount and wiring only reason why I got the rest of the plow duh

had two rebuilt E-47 over two seasons both let me down more than once in the middle of the season they freeze up ( look in the meyer forums nothing more than E-47 frozen )

now I run an E-60 hope it will make it till the end of the season

I hate the fact I have to carry the dam light bar every time I wanna take it off or put it on where is my old f-250 with the unimount western pull up snap on drive off gotta love it

next plow will be a unimount screw that yellow crap :p

5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

ihave rna meyers for 13 years and it is a love hate relationship. They have always gotten the job done for me and Made me a lot of payup. but they do breakdown, but they are pretty easy to work on, They are slow, But they still push snow. I will run the ones until the they die or the truck dies adn then sell them off for parts to new guys starting out and use the money to buy westerns. I have ran westerns and they dont need worked on and are very quick. I dont hate, because if you take care or your equipment it will take care of you...ussmileyflag

6. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I have had my CP8' for 8 years. Had a water problem the first couple of years and my dealer pulled it apart to find someone put it togeather wrong at the factory. Just put a new motor and pump on Friday. Other than that its only been a couple hoses and quick couplers. The plow face has some deep scraches and wet snow sticks quit bad.

7. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I had mine for 6 years 7.5 st classic . lets see 2 motors , gear pump, 4 hoses , lots of filters paint ect . a-frame broke twice . once on each side . over all its been an easy fix .

8. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

had many and the newer models have truly improved
    they are a little slower but cant say it has had that many less than my meyer i had
    the older blades are a little light for the real heavy ice
    however i keep mine indoors and am a stickler for maintenance.
    they are nicely set up for work room no special tools needed to get in super tight spots
    e60 wasnt best design but the e57 used same good principles and fixed problems.
    beat mine up pretty good and never had to do much welding pin and hose here and there.
    great dealer here so that is why i switched in first place.

9. toptech72

toptech72 Member
    from 21078

Well we started with meyers and still use a couple of them. I havent had any major issues with the plows just with my local dealers. Most of the issues have been with the lift arms.We run meyers and western and hinikers. And we have had less issues with the hinikers. And we are always replacing controller harnesses on the westerns. But we dont get the amounts of snow that everyone else gets. No plowable events yet this year. But our 2 oldest plows ( 1 was on my 87 ramcharger when we bought it new) are both meyers and are still working good.

10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i can only compare them to a western as we have 4 Meyer and 3 Western.....1. i don't like the pivot pin setup compared to Western 2. Slower 3. they slam back after being tripped 4.how the lift chain attaches to the A frame is a very bad design(especially when it breaks) BTW for some reason i do like Meyer....

11. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

havent had that much use on mine but it has done the job...i have the ez plus and it comes on and off in 30 secs which is nice( and everything comes off the truk).... its def not as quick as other plows but will get the job done... dont think ill buy another one tho

12. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

What were the problems with the lift arms?

Thanks for the honest answers guy'sv:waving:

13. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

pumps ok mounts i like a fame ok the big problem is the sector worst design in the industry stops for the trip are a joke .

14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Years ago had a Meyer conventional.

Was slow yes. It used toggle switch's that I really did not care for. Only problems I had was one switch that was mounted on the pump.

It could take a beating though. While plowing a back lot for a company they neglected to tell me about some RR tracks that were buried in the middle of the lot. Old tracks not used any more the ends were just buried best they could with dirt. The blade found em one night flipping the moldboard back into a flat position.

Only plow I have ever had the blade trip like that. It was setting almost level with the truck with the moldboard facing up. Chained the top part to a tree and put it in reverse to pop it back in place.

Was a pretty tough plow I thought. I abused it pretty good and it still worked properly when I sold the truck.

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well I know Im not a fan of mine. I have used Meyer on all of my other trucks over the past 7years. Most were the 7.5 ST series with the E60. I have had poly and steel as well. The poly plows are nice, but after a long period of time the moldboard starts to almost go flat, meaning losing its arc. And the C Series poly plows are heavier than shyt!!!!!! It is a myth that poly plows are lighter than steel plows. I have had the original behind the bumper mount, classic ez mount, and the MDII plus. I liked the MDII plus as it only had 2 pins to pull and the whole thing came off the truck. But that system was bought brand new in 2004, and I wanted to shoot the pump. Seems like every other week it was going in for something under warranty work. My dealer took care of it, but Im sure they were getting sick of seeing me and I was sick of seeing them, lol. The coils were junk and the wiring had some issues at the plug. I was actually kind of happy to see it go. I have the EZ Classic on my current truck with the E60 and an 8 foot steel plow. The truck came with it, otherwise it would have a Boss sitting off the front. It did have the 7.5 poly, but I traded it for an 8 footer. I beat the snot out of that 7.5 and it never gave me 1 issue. The wiring was garbage on the truck and the pump was loaded with issues. It broke always when it was super cold at 3am. I ended up tearing it down, putting all new guts in it and the double stud motor. Since then, no issues. Never froze up or anything. I do rebuild the pump before every season now, then I have no head aches all winter (knock on wood). The nite sabre lights suck at best. Always burning out and the modules always fry. Not fun at 60 bucks a pop. The blades are very, very strong and can take one hell of a beating. But I just am ready for something new. And this plow set up does not lift very high, makes my stacking very, very hard and my piles suck at best.

16. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

The lift arms wear out where the bolts go through to mount the arm.

17. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i have been using Meyers plows since i bought my 66 dodge power wagon used in 1973, and it came with a E-47/C-8 combo.
    i replaced that truck with an 79 F250, and put the plow on it. over the past 36 years, that plow paid off the 79 truck in 1 year, and has paid for the truck again 20 times over. i have replaced the cutting edge twice, and put 1 motor on the pump.
    i also put a E-47/C-8 on my 88 superduty when it was new, and have only replaced 1 motor and 1 cutting edge on that one.

the 02 superduty has a used E-60 and a used C-8.5 on it.

the only problem i have ever had with my Meyers setups in the skids. they wear out in no time. i was going through 2-3 sets per storm till i converted the plows to use the western pods. i get on average 6 years out of a set of pods.

my partner had a western 8 foot plow that came with his chevy. it was a pos. nothing but problems till he took it off and put a Meyers on the truck.

and the fisher plows with the trip cutting edges were nothing but problems also. if you do not feel the edge trip, you kiss the plow goodbye when it hits another trip object.

one of my sub contractors had 2 fisher setups, and ripped them both off the trucks on 2 different manholes that the Meyers tripped on and them popped back up.

18. Chevy03dump

Chevy03dump Member

After 6 years plowing with my MDII with C-8, I have been very happy with it. I've only replaced 1 hose, touched up a couple of cracks with the welder, replaced the king pin and bushing. Not bad for 6 years of banging curbs and stuff. Oh, I did replace the edge once as well.

19. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Bought a 8.5 v and a 7.5 . Got good dealer support, never had problems other than solenoid wires getting insulation dried and cracked. Didnt like their first V plow they way the mold board tripped and the wings returned by springs. They copied their competitors ideas with a bottom trip edge and hydraulic pull back. We dont allow our guys to stack snow saves on wear and tear

20. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

oh forgot to mention the pins on the A frame mount to the truck keep coming off I am using meyer pins and cutter pins

stopped using them and didnt have a problem since switching over to the regular hitch ball pin and pin :rolleyes:

this came off every storm
    [​IMG]