1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer "A" coil?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Timoh, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Timoh

Timoh Junior Member

Just registered here, great site with alot of good info.

I have been having some issues with my plow this past week. My set-up is 2001 6.5 ft, E-47, Slik stick wired with a relay, ignition on to power system. Got in Jeep tried to raise blade and had nothing, wouldn't move any direction. Traced it to a blown fuse( wired it with 2- 20amp fuses for safety) Changed fuse all was well for 2 days then same thing happened. After changing fuse this time everything worked except couldn't lower blade. I think my A coil is bad? It is not magnetized with power on in lower position and I "hot wired" coil direct from battery and still got nothing. Removed coil which didn't want to come off the shaft, really had to pry hard. It smells like burnt electrical. Am I correct?, is there anything else it could be?

Thanks Tim

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Change the A coil Tim and while you digging around look over the control harness for any pinched or worn wires while your there, just for good measure.

3. Timoh

Timoh Junior Member

1st thing I checked was the wiring, all looks good. Hopefully I can find one on Sunday.

Thanks, Tim

4. Timoh

Timoh Junior Member

B&B, you seem to know quite a bit about these plows, when a coil goes out does it just fail or can it short out internally and blow a fuse?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Normally they just fail to work (internal break in the coil) but yes they short to ground via the metal coil body also. That usually stems from the controls being wired to a constant hot source and/or leaving the switch in the float position for long periods of time. It's always a good idea to take the plow out of the float position when you're not actually plowing with it and be sure the controls are wired to a keyed ignition source only.

6. Timoh

Timoh Junior Member

Picked up a coil this morning. Seems to work fine now. My setup is relay, keyed ignition only and fused.

Thanks, Tim