1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyer 8' lot pro mashed a frame

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by xcracer72, Dec 9, 2010.

1. xcracer72

xcracer72 Junior Member
    from iowa

Less than 80 hours on a two year old plow. I was readying to install a new cut edge when I saw this.... The "stops" have mashed the tube steel frame in and caused the top and bottom to bubble up. This plow has a f250 6.0 behind it, I am reasonably easy on my equipment and am very familiar with the areas I plow. Regardless, it seems like "underengineering" at the least. So here you will find my dilema. Maybe it will help someone facing similar circumstances. Or at least, make someone aware of potential problems before they arise. I didn't feel as if this was an area that needed any type of attention or maintanence, Ten hours or so later I have produced this solution. I am new to posting online so will give you a brief walkthrough, Your comments and opinions are most welcome....

I started by heating and reforming the bent steel. Then fabricating a plate which would allow the for some welds to be perpindicular to the pressure applied to the a frame (top and botom) then ran a bead along the damaged area grinding it flush with the new top and bottom plates. Finally boxing the sides in with 1/4" plate steel. I thought I was done but when I flipped the a frame over i discovered that I had evidently bottomed out a few too many times. easy enough fix....I welded the frame shut and installed rub plates. Thew are welded only where needed since I plan on replacing them every two years or so. (they should have been built in with the unit, they seem to need extra protection, speedbumps,curb etc..) Upon installing the a frame I anticipated losing a few degrees of angle and not making flush contact with the plow frame. what I didnt expect was that the contact points on the plow frame were not in very good shape at all. So they too were reinforced as needed. Some high dollar paint and it looks like a professionaly engineered product which will hopefully last much longer than the original. As many of you know its not always feasable to rely on warranty work when 5 out of 7 days they are calling for snow. Also, the dealer that I had previously had a minor warranty job done (wing failure, looked like a 5 year old welded it) does not deal with meyer anymore. To say that My 5000 dollar investment hasnt held up even close to what I had expected is an understatement. Let It Snow...
    View attachment 86328

2. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

ouch I have same plow dont even have a dimple there
    i also have plates welded on a frame where stops hit
    did u not have those? If they start to dent I will reinforce
  3. xcracer72

xcracer72 Junior Member
    from iowa

No plates, just frame steel. There is a gussett at that location. If they had boxed the frame at the point of impact it would not have been as drastic. IMO
  4. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

job well done, it's always nice to be able to fix someone elses F-up and make it much better.
  5. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Very Nice Job! Maybe Meyer will hire you to show them how to design a plow. They sure don't know how.
  6. plowbabe

plowbabe Member
    from Midwest

Saw this last year with my local municipality........a-frame was replaced under warranty through Meyer.
  7. tastebeer

tastebeer Member

Good job!! I agree, you might want to consider a job with Meyer, they obvisouly can not build equipment for extreame conditions, (most likely not even for normal snows). Another example of why many plow contractors are switching from Meyer to anyone else. I won't even test a unit they have offered to give me to try. They are taking every ounce of steel out of their plows (depending too much on CAD to do their testing and not real world use). Maybe someone can buy the company and turn it into a real plow manufacturing facility and not just some nice looking unit on a show room floor.