1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer 8.5' Vector V-Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lazer, Nov 19, 2000.

1. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

I'm a little disappointed guys. ;)

I take pride in keeping abreast with snow-removal equipment. I figured with this forum and the knowledgeable guys who post here, there'd be no equipment I wasn't aware of and knew a little something about.

For example, NO Meyer rep I've talked to knows HALF of what Chuck does about Meyer plows.

Now I find out about a Meyer 8.5' V-plow called the "Vector" What's up with that? I'm not about to buy one, but does anyone else have more info?

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Lazer,

That's the V Meyer had out last year, or the year before even. It was recalled, because it was EXTREMELY weak.

Most likely, it's why you have not heard about it at all. Then again, it has come up here before. No one mentioned the name, only that Meyer made a V plow they recalled.

It was a must that it be powered by the E-60 pump. It was a full trip plow, not a trip edge design.

I don't have the brochure here, but I do have one for it somewhere. If I can dig it up, I'll post more about it.

Dino knows quite a bit about them, maybe he can enlighten us more.

Well, just went over to the Meyer website, and lo and behold, the V is back! It's still called the EZ- Vector V plow. It says it's powered by the E-66 pump. Guess that's new too, never heard of it. Not much info on it. I'm a little disappointed that it looks like the old V they recalled. Hopefully they fixed the flaws. Still looks like tripping will be a problem. By that I mean it's design looks like it will be difficult for it to trip. A hard blow on the end of the cutting edge, doesn't look like it could trip the blade. Just an observation..... On their Power Units page, they don't even list or show a E-66. In the section where they match plows to vehicles, the V plow is not listed at all either.....

http://www.meyerproducts.com/plows/v_plow.html

~Chuck

[Edited by ChucksChevyPages on 11-19-2000 at 06:02 AM]

3. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Powered by a V-66, which looks like a E-60 with the changed valves, but the parts don't interchange. Course Meyers "isn't in the snow-plow business", they're "in the parts business."

4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

The Meyer V-plow came out in the Fall of 1998.

Recalls began last winter I think?

The Plow is yet to be put on the market yet. They never removed it from the web page.

Geoff

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Here is how meyer designed the plow.
    First they took a 8' husky and cut it down the center, installed a seriously weak hinge in the center,and welded the two halfs of the plow to it. Next they tried to copy boss and use trip spings to control the wing return. How they thought it would even trip in the v or scoop is beyond me. Unlike the boss that allows that entire center post to move, the hinge was welded to the swing sector.
    They has like 6 trip sprins for the moldboard, but I still cant see what good that would have done. The other side of the trip springs were attached in the same area that they usually are, along the top of the swing sector.
    The 6 meyer v plows that I saw recalled all were broken where the moldboard meets the center hinge point.
    I think the V-66 just had different valving to accomodate the v plow movement.
    The only benifit the meyer v plow had, was that you could pin it right to any meyer frame with out buying an entire new plow and sub frame. I think you could even get away with an older hydro power supply, as long as you ddint want to move both wings at the same time. But other than that, no benifits at all.
    Geoff I sure hope Meyer doesnt hack a good name like Diamond to pieces.
    Dino

6. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Oh... Give 'em time....

I think those boys could screw up a wet dream.....

7. GeoffD

Well, So far Meyer has left the blade design of the Diamond alone. I Used to buy all fisher till the Diamond Pull away came out, because I don't love the Fisher Min Mount. So far Diamonds are a rock solid plow, and I have had a problem with the pumps, only I am only useing the E-60s.

I think If I remember the story right, Diamond started to go under during the 80s, and thats when Meyer bought them out. That was when production of Diamond Plows stoped in Maine, and was Moved to Ohio. Diamond built one of the first v-plows and probably one of the best, but weighed too much for even a 1 ton.

Geoff

8. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

In the fisher book, it said that a man introduced a v-plow design to dean fisher is the 70's. Fisher didn't buy the rights, so the man started up Diamond plows. Just a little history.

Bryan

9. GeoffD

What book did you read this in? I might like to read it myself.

Geoff

10. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

It's the book about the history of fisher plows. It was made for fisher's 50th anniversary. Everyone in sima that went on the fisher plant tour got a copy of the book.

Bryan

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Geoff email fisher about a copy, it is called Plowing with the storm, the history of fisher engineering. I read the book in June while my wife was in labor. Just wait one sec hon, Dean Fisher is just about to introduce the snow foil, and I cant but the book down, at about that same time a pitcher of water came crashing into my head.
    Or email me off forum, and I can mail an extra copy of mine.
    Dino

12. GeoffD

Dino,

I sent Fisher an E-Mail, I think they owe me a copy after I bought their plows this year and not one Diamond so far. If they E-Mail doesn't work, I drive right up to the Factory.

Geoff