Snow Plowing Forum banner

Meyer 8.5' plow on diesel

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jkski 
#1 ·
I am new to snow plowing so I have been reading Alot! But thought i would see if anyone has the same exact setup.

I have a 2005 chevy 2500 diesel. I have bought a used meyers 8.5' plow. (bigger than I wanted but too good of a buy to pass) From what i understand its a bit big and heavy for my suspension but I'm willing to make whatever changes necessary. I'm also considering giving the whole truck a 2-3" lift anyway. I have read about timbrens, lift kits etc. I was just wondering if someone has a similar setup that might want to share their good or bad experience with a suspensin aleration. I'm in Nashville so we don't have snow but 3 months out of the year so I am trying to be really particular and find something that will still look right and ride Good when the plow isn't attached.

Thanks for any advice or stories!

#2 ·
Timberen on the front and mount it it only aprox 20=30 lbs heavy compared to what plow is recommended for your truck and the area you live in annual snow fall wouldn't stop me I have timberen on mine and it firmed the ride up a little but handles the plow great!
You may want to ballast the back with a little weight other than that I go with it!

#3 ·
Michaelzz28;1340789 said:
Timberen on the front and mount it it only aprox 20=30 lbs heavy compared to what plow is recommended for your truck and the area you live in annual snow fall wouldn't stop me I have timberen on mine and it firmed the ride up a little but handles the plow great!
You may want to ballast the back with a little weight other than that I go with it!
Thanks for the input Michael. I was wondering how the timberens affect th ride. Glad to hear you're still satisfied after putting them on. Iwill be doing salting too so ill have the counter weight down. 2 days ago I got a new salt dogg tgs07 installed. All I have to do I figure out where to run the blue 12v wire to. Anyone know if I can just connect it back with the constant hot from the batery?

#5 ·
FWIW, I have been running an 8' Meyer steel blade on my 06 GMC CrewCab Shortbed without any issue and actually changed over to a 8.5' Super V2 for this year and it seems to hang well. I do plan on adding Timbrens this year just to be safe but without them in place the truck still seems to hold the plow well, granted the torsion bars are cranked a bit to compensate.

#6 ·
jkski;1342530 said:
FWIW, I have been running an 8' Meyer steel blade on my 06 GMC CrewCab Shortbed without any issue and actually changed over to a 8.5' Super V2 for this year and it seems to hang well. I do plan on adding Timbrens this year just to be safe but without them in place the truck still seems to hold the plow well, granted the torsion bars are cranked a bit to compensate.
I wish I could have found an 06'. You have one extra gear than me. Thats really good to hear that yours did well even with the super v. I was thinking about tightening the torsion bars a bit too....but not sure. Do you have yours tightened all the way?

#7 ·
My 06 is the much desired LBZ model and I have no complaints. Like most people, I do have to put a good bit of weight behind the rear axle to help offset the plow weight, but then again, I am plowing with a CrewCab SB, so I've got a little length!
My torsion bars are not fully tightened, I still have more to go but I really do not want to have to go much farther as the ride, when unloaded, would probably cause the frontend to jump off the ground. Right now, the ride is good, considering the weight it is set-up to carry, but in the long run the Timbrens are an investment that I plan to make this year so I will let you know how that effects things when they are in.
As is, my front does not drop but a 1/2 - 3/4 inch when the plow is raised and does not sit on the stops....now if I am rolling and hit a good bump I am sure that is far different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.