1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer 7.5ft Super-V......Is it a good plow?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by elyice, Feb 6, 2014.

1. elyice

elyice Junior Member
    from Ely, MN

Hey Guys.

Sorry if this has been talked about before. I couldn't find anything recent about the Meyer 7.5 Super-V. I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500. I want a v plow for opening roads on lakes. Boss and Snowdogg 7.5 v plows are 700lbs. I think that is without mounts too. Meyer 7.5 super-v is less than 600 complete. I don't want to beat my truck up too bad with a heavy plow.

I have heard that Meyer is making a better plow than they did in the past. Does anyone have experience with the Meyer 7.5 super-v?

Thanks.

2. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

i just had one installed on my nissan titan a couple weeks ago. i've only been able to use it on a couple driveways so far, but it performed great. i'm really loving the versatility of a V plow, the scoop function is awesome for cleaning up and stacking snow. i've only had to put it in V mode once so far, had a thigh high snow bank from the city plow i had to get through at the end of one of the driveways. it went through it like butter. the controls are really nice too. mounting/dismounting is really easy as well. so far i'm loving it.

3. elyice

elyice Junior Member
    from Ely, MN

If you don't mind me asking...What was the total cost of the plow, including install?

This looks like the plow for me. Only problem is that the closest dealer is 4hrs away.

Thanks.

4. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

4995 installed.

4 hours is a long way to go if you have a problem...

5. elyice

elyice Junior Member
    from Ely, MN

Yea. It is a long way. It's really my only option tho. I need a V plow for plowing on the lake. A Boss or Snowdogg V is more than I want to put on my truck. And upgrading to a 3/4ton isn't in the cards.

But a 7hr round trip for warranty work is not really feasible either.

Thanks again for the response.

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

100 lb isn't going to make a difference. Put some timbres on it

7. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

i hear ya. maybe check your local parts stores and see what they carry for meyer parts/products. that way, if you need something simple at least it could be had locally. it's a really nice setup though, it's impressed me so far.

8. elyice

elyice Junior Member
    from Ely, MN

The Boss is 700lbs for just the plow. Not sure what the complete weight would be.

9. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Isn't the snow dogg in the 500 range?

10. elyice

elyice Junior Member
    from Ely, MN

No I dont think so. It is also 700lbs. Not sure if that is the complete weight either. The Snowdogg is designed for "plow prep" 1/2tons.

11. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

There is no such thing as a plow prep half ton.
    Mount adds 80 pds

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

It's a 100 pound difference id go with snow dogg. I love Meyer but you need a closer dealer

13. elyice

elyice Junior Member
    from Ely, MN

That is what Snowdogg says on their website. From what I understand is that is pretty much means a 3/4ton. ha.

14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

They ALL say that lol

There is no such thing. We just went through this in a previous thread

15. elyice

elyice Junior Member
    from Ely, MN

If mounts are 80lbs then it would be close to a 200lbs difference between Meyers Super-V and a Boss/Snowdogg.

Meyer is less that 600lbs complete

16. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

They aren't including the mount

17. elyice

elyice Junior Member
    from Ely, MN

Ok. I thought they were. It says 582(complete) on their site. I thought that included mounts.

Thanks.

18. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

the meyer is 582 complete with the mount.

19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A couple of hundred pounds itn't going to break the camels back.
    As mentioned get a set of timbrens no matter what plow you go with. Then add counter weight. This will take weight off of the front axle.

The only thing about a 7.5 Vee is in the ^ it's going to be narrower than your full size truck is, spilling the snow back under your wheels.

You may want to think about a wider plow and or a bigger truck and a bigger plow.

20. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

one thing i ran into was the dealers refusing to install a particular plow on my truck because the manuf. didn't recommend it in their "quick match" system. that's one reason why i didn't get a western hts, even though it's lighter than the meyer i have, western's quick match didn't recommend it for my make/model truck so the dealer refused to install one. i imagine you might run into the same thing with your 1500 with some dealers/manufacturers.

in v mode, mine is still just wide enough to be wider than the truck..

[​IMG]