1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

meyer 7.5' plow not making full contact

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SportyCS, Mar 28, 2004.

1. SportyCS

SportyCS Junior Member

hey guys i am pretty new to plowing and i ran into some troubles with my plow. I have a 97 chevy ck1500 with a 4 inch lift and the meyer ez mount with the e47 pump and a st90 plow. When i angle the blade all the way to one side, the blade doesn't make full contact with the ground. Like the opposite side of the blade stays like 2-3 inches off the ground. If you guys know how to fix this please let me know. thanks guys have a good day.
  2. SnoForce

SnoForce Junior Member

Your lift kit is most likely causing this. You will need to lower the snow plow frame mount. If I remember correctly the plow mount pivot point should be around 11" off the ground. I had to do the same thing on my lifted Chevy
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Look for bent bolts on the plow and truck side mount, someone may have used a lower grade bolts then it calls for. The pivot pins for the mold board may be broke,bent ,seized or the mount is cracked or bent. Make sure the truck side is level low and up against the frame where it mounts to truck frame. Put a jack under the lower part of truck mount and see if the mount moves when you jack it a little. The truck side bolts to frame may be loose too. I had the same problem, add the weight of the plow and the mount would sag down. Take the weight away and the mount would be back against the frame. Is the cutting edge worn uneven? Someone may have corrected the problem it did have and did not replaced the cutting edge.
  4. SportyCS

SportyCS Junior Member

Im pretty sure the mounts not moving, yet i did measure where the pivot hole is and the middle hole for the mount is 16 inchs to the center of the hole. the bottom hole is 14.5 inches up. How would i drop the mount that far and have is still function right?
  5. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I had the same problem. Blade would stay flat to the ground until I angled it all the way to either side. It turned out to be a bent a-frame. I had trouble figuring the problem out and bend was not easily visible. I replaced the A-frame and the problem was solved.
  6. noclevername

noclevername Member

I've got a Myer plow on a Ford F-250 with a 4" lift. To get the plow blade to stay on the ground from full left to full right "lock", the "A" frame (push frame) has to be parallel to the ground. It can't be sloped up toward the truck or as the plow blade angles one side will lift up. To correct this in my situation I modified the back of the "A" frame (where it mounts to the truck) by adding 4" to it. Your situation will be different because of the e z mount, but the solution will be the same. You have to get the "A" (push) frame parallel to the ground when the plow is lowered.
  7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Take the lift back off the truck. Keep the "A" frame parallel with the ground when the blade is on the ground. Lifts on trucks are great but not for plowing. The drop frame on a F350 is longer then on the F250 by about 2" . It may be the same on a 2500 or 3500. you may be able to check it out and change just that part.
  8. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

My suggestion will help you determine if it is your truck or your a-frame(hopefully not both).

The quick easy way is to remove your front tires (with all safety devices in place of course)and lower your truck so your a-frame is at correct height . now angle your plow both ways. if its ok lower your a-frame. if not your a-frame is most likely bent. Goodluck, PT.
  9. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Question, Is the blade not touching the ground when angled both left and right, or just one way? If just one way then something is bent, usually A-frame. If not touching when angled both ways then mount must be adjusted.

If a-frame needs to be leveled, get replacement ears that stick off of end of a-frame. Remove old ears and add a piece of steel across back of a-frame and then weld new ears on.

Ears are available fromCentral Parts for about 8.00 each......Chuck
  10. SportyCS

SportyCS Junior Member

when i angle the plow either way 1 side sticks up. I think its because of the A frame not being level with the ground. The A frame does angle down towards the plow from the frame of the truck. I am thinking about welding on 4" extentions on the A frame, but Im not sure how to do it. I have a couple of ideas, yet i don't want to weaken any of the parts.
  11. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

if you add an extention than add a brace behind it like the original to transfer all the energy back along the frame.

DERANGER Junior Member

Does anyone have a picture of the extension and brackets they have built. I have same problem.
  13. SportyCS

SportyCS Junior Member

yea pictures would be awesome..if someone has any...
  14. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

It's the lift kit. I had the exact same problem. Do as lawnmedic says. Cut the ears off, take some flat bar to use as a spacer, build up as much as you need to make the difference and weld the ears back on. I was careful enough to get the ears off without damaging them. I was able to re-weld the ears back on. The plow worked perfect.

Good Luck!

DERANGER Junior Member

16. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

what i did was cut a piece of flat stock 10 x 2 put two 1in holes
    top and bottom of original ears then welded a piece 4 x 14 with
    the angle from top of bolted flat stock to the a frame
    all stock is 1/2 thick the hole for pin is at top of flat stock
    been that way for years never had a prob and we've had
    some serious snow.
    i tried to attach a pic but could'nt