1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meyer 47H pump problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mjs408, Dec 13, 2009.

1. mjs408

mjs408 Junior Member

My lifting ram is stuck in the all the way up , pump/solenoids make noise for up/left/right but I cant get the ram to drop( including my 250 on a 4 foot cheater trying to help it along) What could it be? More snow coming tonight, would really like a functional plow. Also going to my normal job, so I dont have time alot of time
    Thanks in advance

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Check for magnetism at the A valve while in the float position. If it has it, pull the A valve out and you'll likely find the internal spool is stuck. Note: if you pull the valve make sure the plows weight is supported (if its raised) and you have a drain pan under the pump. As well as plenty of shop towels and extra fluid as it will drop like a rock and spew fluid from the A valve port.

If it doesn't have mag then you have a wiring issue or bad A coil.

3. mjs408

mjs408 Junior Member

Ill try that, wish I could justify upgrading to a 57H pump

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The E57's are already obsolete and have been for a couple years now. If you upgraded you'd want the current E58H pump.

Good luck with your tests.

5. mjs408

mjs408 Junior Member

It has mag, so I just have to un-stuck the spool?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

With having magnetism you know your wiring and valve coil are good, so now you know it's the A valve itself for sure thats the issue.

You can remove the valve and press in on the bottom to see if you can manually shift the internal spool thus freeing it up. Or if you need it to be dependable simply replace it.

7. mjs408

mjs408 Junior Member

Thanks for the info, do you ever sleep:)? Now it time to go deal with about 2.5 inches of mid-weight snow.

8. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Genetics !!!

All Plow Operators Are Missing The Sleep Gene It Is a Scientifically Proven Fact:laughing::laughing::laughing:

9. bcofdayton

bcofdayton Member

my meyer plow isn't moving up or down, left or right, this is a sporadic issue that has become increasingly more of a problem, any ideas there? BTW, when it is working while driving it will lower an inch every 10-15 mins as you drive.