1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mexico or USA.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Bossplower, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

Some of the Dodge trucks I've looked at are made in Mexico.
    Has anyone heard if they are having any problems with them?

Thanks Steve
  2. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

I am 90% sure that extended cabs were ASEMBELED in Mexico. If the first number of your VIN is 1, it is USA, 2-Canada, 3-Mexico, 4-United States(Diamond Star Motors), J-Japan you shouldn't see that one though:D We had a 97 extended cab, never checked the vin, but it was a trouble free truck for 190000 miles before we sold it. My dad bought it new in 97, and just sold it 3 months ago.
  3. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

I don't know if you are looking at new or used trucks since it does appear to matter where they were assembled regarding production years. As for the next gen Rams, I can't comment other than I believe the assembly processes are pretty equal across the board from corporate wide revamping of the program to get all the locations on an even keel.

However, (and I speak from being a victim as well) from about '99-2000 the St. Louis produced Rams were plagued with problems. It took well over a year or two for the plight to surface nation wide. I put up with loads of nonsense problems, even including a failed torque converter and a motor w/ two fractures in the lower block... all factory issue problems as determined by the dealer. The nation-wide issue was nicknamed "The St. Louis Blues". Since then, DC totally revamped the assembly Q.C. and apparently things are on the upswing. I do remember reading some info. over a year ago where the Mexican Rams had the least amount of downtime in dealer svc. bays, followed by Mich. then St. Louis. What the numbers are today, I don't know. My '02 ¾-ton is a taco truck from south of the border and it has been heads above my former St. Luis made 2000 Ram ¾-ton. The new truck has employee initialed, QC inspection tags placed throughout it versus none on my former Ram.
    I hope the new owner of my old Ram is having better luck than I had .... since it seemed to do all of its problematic BS to me!:angry:
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The salito mexico plant has been running for 35 yrs.The quality is better than the US built ones,especially the paint.They seem to have less problems too. I have a St louis built 2000,with no problems to speak of,so far so good.
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have also had better luck with the Mexican trucks.Much better build quality,and quality control.Not that I wouldn't buy a St.Louis built truck,but if I had the choice I'd take a Mexican built truck first.
  6. Sublime

Sublime Junior Member

We just took delivery of an '04 regular cab 4X4 made in Mexico build date July 29, 2003. No problems in the first 300 miles :cool:
  7. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

I don't know if this is the right thread, but why are the trucks built better in Mexico? Is it because there is no UAW present? Is it that the Mexican work force appreciates jobs? Any one care to comment?
  8. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Well, looks like you are taking us down a road that could be filled with many bumps and soft spots!

I know of one American auto worker that thought it was a real laugh to leave the assembly line running while he was on break and lunch. Consequently, several spot welds never got applied to the vehicle and his brother-in-law (of all people) unknowingly ended up buying one of those off of that line (he still cusses about it and his bro-in-law to this day!).
    That's not to say that a majority of American workers have the attitude of that particular joker but, I have witnessed plenty of workers cut corners to leave early, get by, or make their job that much easier. Then again, that argument can be applied to humans in general no matter what nation or can it? Perhaps Mexicans are so depraved for paying jobs that they cherish the ones they have and work at it with diligence and such? I would think that in America, where too many jobs are eliminated, sent outside our borders, or handed over to automation, factory workers would be cherishing their jobs as well. I can't speak for the masses nor for the factory workers... I am not one of them. I have a respect for factory/assembly line workers that deal with mundane or heavy labor jobs. I can "almost" understand why attitudes surface and some run to the bars for happy hour, however I don't condone that crutch.
    I work in a service oriented position and QC is always under review so I know firsthand about retaining customers and the ill effects of bad products and poor service. D.C. saw clearly that there was a serious problem occuring in their St. Louis plant, enough to spend millions to revamp the entire QC program and get that plant back into the proper groove.