1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Methods of Chaining Up your Plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dubya, Dec 30, 2010.

1. dubya

dubya Junior Member
    from NY

I had a problem with my plow on monday and had to hike it up for transport to the repair shop. I used a bottle jack and cribbing boards since I could not find a snow pile to run it up on to hike the blade for re-chaining. I wanted to get ideas on how others raise the plow when the pump motor isn't working? Is anyone using a ratchet load binder to draw the two ends of the chain together?
  2. D&E

D&E Senior Member

I've never had the problem buy my Boss dealer told me if I ever do have a hydraulic failure to use a ratchet strap to pull it up.
  3. dubya

dubya Junior Member
    from NY

A ratchet strap? I wouldn't think you could get enough leverage force on the handle to get the blade up. Hmmm.
  4. tjslider

tjslider Member

I carry a small floor jack with me...hope I never have to use it. The one I carry is a Sears/Craftsman 1 1/2 ton. It weighs maybe 20lbs and fits right behind the seat. I tried it once right when I bought it, right under the middle of the A-frame. A few pumps and the edge was a foot off the ground.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

if that ever happened to me id probably just use the jack that came with the truck for changing flat tires. its right behind the seat as well
  6. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Come-Along (at least that is what I call them) cable winch.

I run a tube type meyer and had to do this once, just hooked the handle end to the A frame and wraped the cable around the tube wer the pump bolts and cranked away (or was it the other way around?) anyway, its the best way as a floor jack can slip (had that happen once) but I keep both as well as a rachet strap for when you break both henge pins at the same time!
  7. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

my old man carry's a 2'' ratchet with him to pick it up your arms tired by the time its up high enough but it works, mine i dropped it on the shoulder and coned it off 2 years ago when i had a hydraulic line blow but that's a 10 ton truck lol
  8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

How about drive it up to a snow bank and it will ride right up
  9. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

My luck it would hang up and I would get stuck....
  10. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

had a boss fail on me this first storm in early dec. and we used rachet straps (big boy ones) to get the blade up and tow it outta there
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

just drive backwards...lmao
    carry a small jack or a high lift jack in the bed