1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Methods for finding Subs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KenP, Sep 22, 2003.

1. KenP

KenP Senior Member

What methods have you guys found successful in finding subs? I've placed fliers, word of mouth, put cards on trucks that I saw had a plow mount, and I'm just not getting the responses I've wanted. So lets hear it

2. Greensway

Greensway Member

I have had a few by selling them a truck/plow that I wanted to upgrade.
    You could always ask your wife for a couple more boys?

3. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Ken I've done all the things you've mentioned and maybe more and have had minimal success. Have you tried putting the price your willing to pay on the cards and notes you've left on equipment? The little success I've had has been advertising the pay rate in local newspapers or on the cards left on vehicles.

This brings up the point that when you finally get good people, you need to keep them anyway you can!

ps I posted this reply also in the networking forum before seeing the double post :rolleyes:

4. Santo

Santo Banned

They really arent that hard to find. During the first snowfall, ask the fella who is pushing on the lot next to yours. A little too late , but you get a good sample of his work. That is how I got mine over the years. He came over to ask me if I would flick off my strobes.Said he was getting TUNNELVISION.

5. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Ask some friends with plow trucks.Thats what i do.

6. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Ken, Matt, & Santos,

We all seem pretty local here. We should do lunch. :drinkup:

Mark

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

have you tried placing a help wanted add in the local
    paper

cardoctor

8. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Mark, lunch sounds good, where and when? I really thought it was going to be easier than it has been. I've tried most of what's been posted here with the exception of the Ad in the paper. Unfortunately I don't have many friends with plow trucks or I'd ask them and asking a guy who's already pushing snow is a little late for the current season. I guess it's all part of growing pains. I also think I'll disagree with Santo for now as to the ease of the task! As far as retaining the subs I do hire, they always seem to come back the next year. I'm now working on some sort of bonus/incentive program, which I hope will get a few more plows on the street in future years.

9. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Ken

I'm heading to DisneyWorld this Friday for a week. When I get back I'm up for it. I'll be in touch.

Good luck in your quest. If I hear of anybody, I'll send them your way.

Mark

10. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

im in on lunch
    let me know when and where

cardoctor

11. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Cardoctor,

Sorry, I didn't mean to leave you out of the invite. :eek:

I'll be back in town Oct 4. We can dicuss a time and place then.

Look forward to meeting you guys.

Mark