1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Meteorlogix??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LwnmwrMan22, Oct 30, 2005.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Just wondering if anyone uses this service??

They say they'll alert you if there's snow coming your way, and I was wondering what kind of alert?

It'd be nice to find a service that would call your cell phone so you could go to sleep with both eyes closed, not one on the clock and the other out the window.

2. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Any idea what their hit rate is?? Do they just watch the news and tell you it's going to snow in the next 8 hrs??

3. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Its like Freddy Krueger man. Never sleep! lol

Worst nightmare would be waking up in a stooper with five on the ground and an inch an hour comin down.

Whoa!

:eek:

4. LwnmwrMan22

This is a news release based out of Minneapolis, so I don't know about other locations across the great divide....

Integrated weather solution provides Maintenance Decision Support System (MDSS) for winter road maintenance

MINNEAPOLIS, MN (September 9, 2005) —Minneapolis-based Meteorlogix, DTN’s brand of commercial weather services, will launch MxVision WeatherSentry® Transportation Edition 5.0 on October 14, 2005. Using this enhanced version, DOTs and road and street operations can receive crucial winter road maintenance information helping to lower road treatment costs, improve crew scheduling, provide safe roads and reduce environmental impact.

MxVision WeatherSentry Transportation Edition 5.0 is a true Maintenance Decision Support System (MDSS) for winter road maintenance. The 5.0 release provides pavement temperature and frost forecasts, winter weather graphs, and specialized forecasts including blowing snow potential, to improve winter maintenance decision making. Pavement forecasts can be provided both for organizations with and without embedded roadway sensors (RWIS systems). RoadCast pavement forecasts give cities and counties the opportunity to obtain reliable forecasts without the installation of expensive RWIS. The system also provides chemical application recommendations based on weather conditions and pavement temperatures, per the Federal Highway Administration’s Anti-Icing Rules of Practice.

The 5.0 release’s new ‘layered’ view of the weather helps managers and maintenance crews more accurately determine weather conditions including “ground truthing” of radar against actual observations of snow. It provides local, graphical views of weather, down to the metro level, to help clearly indicate how key areas are being impacted.

State departments of transportation (DOTs), city, and county public works departments can easily manage crews using MxVision WeatherSentry Transportation Edition 5.0. The exclusive patent-pending PrecipTimer™ alerts users when snow, ice, or rain will start and indicates how long storms will last. This exclusive technology identifies exact locations of interest and automatically monitors radar data providing start and stop times as well as accumulation for precipitation events — all in an effort to help maintenance departments improve productivity and decrease costs.

Future Radar complements PrecipTimer by offering real-time radar information and projecting it up to 90 minutes into the future. Managers can quickly determine where and when a heavy band of snow will travel so they can alert crews to prepare the area ahead of time by pre-treating roads and warning travelers. Hourly forecasts are provided for the next 72 hours and are updated hourly so you have always have the most current and precise forecast possible.

MxVision WeatherSentry Transportation Edition 5.0 adds a number of other new winter road maintenance capabilities. In snow and ice events, the new mobile option allows managers to check the latest forecast or monitor radar anywhere at any time, whether they’re in the office, or out on the road.

IcePath™ is a 72-hour forecast that graphically indicates areas that will be impacted by sleet or freezing rain, and when. PrecipPath™ is useful in the transition between rain and snow by graphically indicating where and when areas will be impacted by rain, snow and ice.

The Snow Type forecast indicates how wet or dry snow will be. This capability assists crews in determining the amount of chemical that needs to be applied to the roads. The Blowing Snow Potential forecast determines when to schedule crews for plowing due to blowing snow during or after a storm, for improved safety.

Alongside audible severe weather alerts, MxVision WeatherSentry Transportation Edition 5.0 automatically calls attention to forecasted items of concern, such as severe storms or low temperatures. Managers can individually determine threshold levels and change them as needed or rely on the system’s default settings.

“DTN is committed to providing DOTs and road maintenance crews with innovative weather technology,” said Robert Gordon, chief executive officer, DTN. “By accessing the range and depth of features found on MxVision WeatherSentry Transportation Edition 5.0 and WeatherSentry Mobile, managers can be assured no matter where they are located, they are accessing the most up-to-date, location-specific weather information possible.”

All weather information provided on WeatherSentry Mobile is consistent with WeatherSentry Transportation Edition 5.0. There is no additional software to install on your cell phone, and WeatherSentry Mobile is compatible with all mobile carriers with a WAP 2.0 phone and a data plan.

About Meteorlogix (www.meteorlogix.com)
    Meteorlogix, DTN's brand of commercial weather services, delivers industry-specific weather management capabilities for its customers to manage business risks, maximize personal safety and minimize financial loss. Meteorlogix serves more than 20,000 customers with a focus on public safety, transportation, energy, aviation, turf and construction industries. Its client roster includes the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Reuters, Bloomberg, Union Pacific Railroad, Tennessee Valley Authority, US Airways and City of Orlando.

About DTN
    DTN, a private company based in Omaha, Neb., is the leading business-to-business provider of real-time information services across multiple vertical markets including agriculture, energy, commodity trading, and other weather-sensitive industries. The company delivers on-demand market information, commodity cash prices, industry news and in-depth analysis, and location-specific weather to over 120,000 subscribers through its four brands — DTN Ag, DTN Energy, DTN Market Access, and DTN Meteorlogix.

5. Mshak4885

Mshak4885 Junior Member

how to price

how do i give a seasonal price for a commercial plowing account... i told the property maintenance manager 1300 per storm, 175 to sand, and 400 extra per 3" after 4" ... he wants a seasonal rate howw do i determine this?

6. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

what about geeting your local DOT radio frequency and plugging that into a scanner -then youll know for sure when its snowing because there would be no radio traffic at night unless its snowing.............

7. Jube

Jube Member

We started using Meteorlogix last season and will be using agin this year. You can set up your alerts as to what type of conditions you want to be made aware of (freezing rain,snow,white out condititons etc). This service proved to be invaluable to us in alerting our crews. We give our first alerts to our crews 24 hrs in advance of the storms and when WGN in Chicago was saying one thing Meteorlogix was saying something different but they were right all the time. It is well worth the money.

8. mike48116

mike48116 Junior Member

What kind of cost is associated with having a meteorlogix system, does anyone know?

Thanks!

9. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

We have the turf based addition of meteorlogix, and it is around 1200 bucks a year for us at the stadium. It can be set up for whatever alerts you want, and will tell you to the minute when it will rain, snow, etc. I will say it is rarely ever wrong either. It is an amazing system, and has saved us money in terms of not making untimely spray applications, and things to that nature. I can see how it would be very valuable for snow applications as well, and altering crew members, customers, etc.

10. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

weather stations

The govt sends out weather observations from the local airports. In our area we can get snow that would require us to plow or salt and the local weather observation equipment would not get that snow. Ask them where they get there observation information? Not forcast information. The probably tell you they get them from automated weather stations at local airports. What will they do for you when the airports do not get the snow that requires you to go plow?

I do like the scanner listening. The cops call the road crew and they go plow so if you listen to there frequency you will get a very accurate alert.

Dave

11. LwnmwrMan22

This is what I was trying to get out of them.

I've seen it where there was 6" of snow in one spot, but 5 miles away there was nothing.

Now granted that doesn't happen very often, and most of the time if there's plowable snow in one location, there'd be plenty most other areas on my route, but that one time.......

I just don't know if it's worth the $100 / month to have someone wake me up when it's time to plow.