1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Metal VS. Rubber Cutting Edges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Precision1, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Precision1

Precision1 Junior Member

I was thinking of trying out Rubber cutting edges and was wondering if anyone had some input on how long they last and do they work well? I'm thinking they might be worth it/

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I just bought a new pusher today with rubber edges....haven't tested it out yet. But I'll let you know how it runs next snowfall. :cool:

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Why would you buy rubber when you have the money in the bank to buy steel trip. There is no comparison, live and learn.

4. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

My boss has a rubber cutting edge on his push box, cleans nice. It does have a hard time scraping sleet/slizzard storms. We get alot of that here in jersey, very few pure snow events!

5. creativedesigns

Yes I know JD, but Paul said steel trips for pro tech wouldn't be in until the new year. So I had to get something now for our new backhoe. But all the better to have both! once they come in. I know someone who has money in the bank too....he just built himself a HUGE warehouse shop, heated with smooth concrete floors to store his JD tractors in it! LOL :D :drinkup: :waving:

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Fair enough.:drinkup:

7. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

I had one as a pet once!!!!:jester::jester: I think the rubber would work well in snow, but as Tim said slushy wet, heavy stuff seems like the rubber would give to much to be of any use.

8. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

For a box pusher, good... but for a plow blade not good. I put one on my 8' boss a couple years ago for a brick paver parking lot and did not like how it scraped, imo it was not as good as steel. Much cleaner lots with the steel blade and it cost wayyyyyy more. Needless to say, I still have it sittling in my shop on a shelf after two seasons of use. I may sell it someday!

9. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I got a Rubber on my Fisher,

Works good on them waterly/slushy pushes :D

Good with snow, hard pack is so-so

Great when you go in to the grass with them

10. creativedesigns

Tim has a pet Slizzard too! lol :alien:

11. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Your wife calls my pet a slizzard!:waving:

12. stillen

stillen Senior Member

could i use a rubber cutting edge as a back drag blade? custom of course for my fisher, it sounds like it might be a tad lighter....