1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Metal poly or just poly brissels for sidewalk snow removal?

Discussion in 'Sweeper Forum' started by 4man, Nov 25, 2009.

1. 4man

4man Junior Member

I just got a sweeper for my toro dingo but it has metal ploy brissels instead of just ploy. Do you think the metal will scratch the walks?
  2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

How green is the concrete?
  3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Can you try it somewhere that won't matter if it does scratch?
  4. 4man

4man Junior Member

The concrete is 1 year old.

I will still try it on a section, I know the metal is in there to extend the brooms life,but I didn't know what other guys are using?
  5. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I would try it on the road you live on!
  6. michaelo2790

michaelo2790 Member
    from chicago

They wont scratch but it will for sure leave little bits of metal residue as the broom wears and this spring you will have a surface issue of rust on the concrete. It happenend to me. I would go all poly.
  7. betmr

betmr Junior Member
    from 08854

I have two 5 ft. sweepsters on Toro Groundsmasters. I use combo Steel/Polly brush heads on both. Also two Gravely 4 ft. walk behinds. They were always polly, but this year I was able to get brush heads for them directly from Sweepster, & have converted to Steel/Polly on them as well. It is not damaging to Asphalt or Concrete when brushes are adjusted right, and they clean the surface and hold up better & longer than striaght polly. Myself, I will always use the combo. Combos clear heavy & compacted snow better.
  8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

used a metal/ poly combo on the last snow/ freezing sleet/ rain/ whatever that was and the broom cleaned everything the best with metal brissels cutting into the ice
  9. crawford_d

crawford_d Junior Member

Hey betmr
    Would you be interesting in my broom that is for sale? It has brand new segments of poly/steal. Tractor is for sale as well, 4 x 4. 563-880-7940