1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Metal Pless Vs Avalanche

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ServiceOnSite, Jan 28, 2016.

1. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

Looking for some input here comparing the 2 pushers and or wing plows. I see alot of people here riding the metal pless bandwagon for new wing plows with out live edge, and makes me wonder if they looks at Avalanche?
    Is or was Avalanche a bad product, or have a jaded past? For the wing plows i cant tell by looking at them much difference, and keep reading about quality control issues with dumb things. As far as the live edge goes i can see that being ad advantage, but thats also a 5k option. Im not a spokes person for avalanche, but im very very happy with the pusher i have, i think the fit and finish is great, but left wondering if i missed out by not getting the live edge. Is it worth the price?

Hoping for snow one of these weekends as im going to put my new optimus pusher against a metalpless with live edge and see how it stacks up. My friend who has one wont stop talking about how great it is, but i want to see first hand on the same lot, same snow, same machine, same operator what if any the difference is.

He came from arctic pushers ( which we all know, or have heard the drawbacks ) and i came from a protech rubber edge pusher.

Will have plenty of photos, and a video or 2 if we can put it together over a weekend.

Any other input would be great.

2. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I think it's great your going to do a side by side comparison. It would be great if you also took pictures of both plows from the front, the back, and underneath.
    This would be helpful for everyone to see the differences of the makeup of both plows. Metal Pless only makes the LiveEdge pusher box, we do not manufacture pusher boxes with rubber or regular steel cutting edges. As for your questions about the differences of our wing plows, I don't have time right now but will answer later today.

3. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Interested to see this also. What is the cost on the Avalanche pusher? Looking to upgrade my rubber edge protech also next year.

4. 716plowguy

716plowguy Junior Member
    from WNY

Your more than welcome to bring that thing Down:gunsfiring:

5. 716plowguy

716plowguy Junior Member
    from WNY

I can set this up paul.

6. ServiceOnSite

Hope you set it up better than the quick attach was cut out.

7. 716plowguy

716plowguy Junior Member
    from WNY

FYI little grinding she fits like a champ.

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Please clarify what you are saying about cost....are you saying the Avalanche optimus pusher Is $5k less than the same size metal pless pusher w/live edge? As Neige said, please take good photos & videos....I'm very interested in seeing your pics/vids, as we will be looking at updating 1 or 2 pushers for next yr.

9. ServiceOnSite

13,350 for a 16' metal pless live box plus, avalanche optimus is 11,850 but they did give me a great discount from that price. At this point in time im exploring becoming a dealer, depending the outcome of this test. I would like to see exactly which one does does what vs price point.

10. 716plowguy

716plowguy Junior Member
    from WNY

Avalanche did give you the discount in hopes you would like the product and become a dealer, numbers you had stated above are retail. Also to be fair im affiliated with Metal Pless but we will get the plows together and take detailed photos and make some videos of both pushers on the same machine on the same lot for a comparison. The lot we will use to test them on is also about as bad as bad gets sunken DI's numerous cracks in the pavement and sunken parts of the lot with massive chunks and slopes. we will also take picture to show lot conditions and obstacles. This will be a unbiased test all brand bs aside. We will both report back with our opinions once the test is completed, we just need some snow on the weekend.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  11. ServiceOnSite

I think we someone should send us a drone as well to film it. Would be good for all parties involved.

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

So now your saying there is less than $2k difference?? If you got some "special deal", why lead us to believe there is a $5k difference in price in your original post? Or am I still not reading this correctly?

13. ServiceOnSite

The one plow set up that was talking about the 5k difference was the wing plow for a skid steer. The prices as they sat were close, then add the live edge and it was almost a 5k difference. Thats were my comparison came in from.

Do you know how i got the "special deal" on my avalanche, i asked.
    You know what metal pless will tell you? If you dont have the coin for our pushers, maybe you do need our product. My discount out of the gate was 9k for the pusher. If i dont in fact buy in and decide i want to become a dealer then there is a big difference. so 9k to 13350 is 4350, alot closer to 5k.

14. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Interesting so Avalanche told you that's how I treat my potential clients. I have to infer it's me being quoted since I am the only US sales rep for Metal Pless. I talk to lots and lots of people about the Metal Pless product line. I will listen, and ask questions and there are times I will suggest not to get the LiveEdge option. When I do this it's because I will share my 36 years of business sense in the snow industry. Yes I want you to buy a Metal Pless, because I truly believe it's the best product out there. I do not want you to buy a Metal Pless if the numbers don't make sense. It may sound weird, but I want everyone I discuss snow with to succeed, whether or not you buy the products I represent or not.
    I certainly hope that my enthusiasm for Metal Pless, never comes across as arrogance. Ok enough said there.
    You are one very lucky person to have gotten a 32.5% discount on your first Avalanche plow right out of the gate. That's usually given to dealers with a very high purchase order up front, good for you. It is also much more then my dealers get. If you become a dealer are you going to sell the plow for the price you paid, or for the suggested retail which is identical to the Metal Pless LiveEdge? I am not picking on you, just want it to be clear the price you paid is dealer cost, unless Avalance has decided to give this deal to every one which would make their dealers very unhappy.

15. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

I hope I get to see the comparison before this thread gets closed.

16. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Ok now I know who you are, and yes everyone this person is a dealer for Metal Pless. I think it's great to do a comparison, and stay with your original plan, if you want.
    I was hoping to see a comparison on a lot that's similar to what everyone generally plows. Not a pristine lot, but something that represents 80% of what we generally have to deal with. The lot you described, falls into the 1% category. Just my 2 cents.

17. Neige

Neige Sponsor

It's all good, very civil no reason to close down.Thumbs Up

18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Between the two, I would pick the MP. I have yet to see one or operate one but I've seen a couple of those optimus units. I've seen them with broken edges and wing shoes missing.

It is a good thread

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  19. 716plowguy

716plowguy Junior Member
    from WNY

As of now we need snow to do the comparison maybe ill even put a Arctic 17HD in the mix. I agree Paul with the lot the problem is there all on different quick couplers or bucket mount on the Avalanche so the logistics of getting them all to one place to push is difficult to say the least. Also some of these pushers are a hour away each way from one another. The comparison will go down and this thread will be kept to facts and unit info.

20. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

i have a optimus and it has worked well look forward to your comparison