1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Metal pless plowmax or HLA snow wing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LHL Inc., Jan 13, 2016.

1. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Hey guys, 326D Deere. What would you go with and why? 8-13 HLA snow wing or Metal Pless plowmax? Would use for both commercial concrete and gravel lots along with residential. Or could put bucket back on for residentials if needed.
  2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Metal Pless.

No rotary actuators that cost a small fortune to rebuild or replace and Live Edge. Even if I didn't want or couldn't justify the Live Edge (as on our 6-11 Plowmaxx) I would stay with Metal Pless. The wing actuators on our HLA have been an expensive pain in the ass. We finally gave up keeping them from leaking after a couple seasons.

Coming from an owner of a SnoWing and Plowmaxx.
  3. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

How much more is metal pless? I can get a pretty good deal for HLA,(know the local dealer)
  4. alpine779

alpine779 Member

I think one of your factors should be who you get the best service from as well. We run AMI blades with the rotary actuators, yes they leaked last year but they replaced every motor when it leaked covered by warranty. They assured us the problem has been fixed now and to date none of our heliac motors have been leaking. We shall see how the rest of the season goes. We looked into the metal pless blades, I did like them quite a bit but the price difference was around 6k a blade last year (for a 924 cat). So it was tough to justify a 12k difference. Don't get me wrong, I think Metal Pless makes a good product, just wasn't in the budget. For the record the AMI blade has never left us with down-time when they were leaking, dealer just swapped out motors once the shift was done.
  5. squarewheel

squarewheel Member

we run 4 metal pless right now and had two others before that.

10'-20' live edge on Cat 924
    10' -17' live edge on Cat 910
    8' - 16' live edge on Cat 908
    8' - 16' soft drive on Cat 908.

Great blades. I've never seen anything clean better. Downside is all the hoses and cylinders to maintain but the speed of the wings for pushing and back dragging is worth it.

IMG_0203 (2).jpg
  6. squarewheel

squarewheel Member

910 and 908

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

How do you like the 910? Much better or more productive then the 908?
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

There's no doubt in my mind that Metal Plessis makes a better blade. That being said we bought 2 new Horst's again this year. We have Horst blades that are 15 years old and have had very little problems. Our oldest Snowing is a 2006 and has original actuators. The key to them is not have them move at a very high rate of speed. So if you can get a good deal on a Horst I wouldn't be scared of buying one.
  9. squarewheel

squarewheel Member

The 910 is a totally different machine than the 908. It really moves the snow, especially with the 10-17 blade.

It is quite a bit longer than the 908 so It has trouble fitting into some sites that were a breeze with the smaller machine.

The 10' blade also makes it tough to pull individual parking spaces like you can with an 8'.

It is a pleasure to operate though. It's pretty fast down the road and really smooth. Great visibility.

cat 5.jpg

cat 6.jpg

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

We've run an hla for years never had a problem with actuators but like Jd Dave said we have them set to operate slow my biggest complaint is cutting edges their expensive and we replace the main cutting edge more than any plow I've ever owned it really increases the cost of running it
  11. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

The paint sucks on HLA too. Or at least it used to.

Metal Pless is more $$, especially if you have a friend that's a dealer for HLA.
  12. squarewheel

squarewheel Member

pushing 3"

IMG_0232 (2).jpg

IMG_0233 (2).jpg
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I bought a HLA with my 'Bota that was 3 years old. I think that was 2011. No leaks yet.

I second the edge costs, but since we adjusted the attack angle, longevity is better, but still. Some broken mount pins, a leaky hose or two, but overall they are well built, HD plows. I plowed up a bunch of broken pavement with it that first year.

Having said that, I'm not sure I would buy another, just because of the LiveEdge from MP. It is absolutely fantastic. But I have yet to win (or play) PowerBall or find that elusive money tree that will help me along, since I keep spending money on other plow stuff....2 new tractors, Pronovost blower, dump box\salt spreader, etc.
  14. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Here's where you get your money tree.
  15. Mark Oomkes

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I hope you guys aren't buying your edges from Horst for the replacement ones. Well other then the wing edges. I need to buy a Metal Plessis to try one and I hope Paul's not cursing me for sticking up for Horst as they've been pretty good to us over the years.
  17. Mark Oomkes

We bought one set and pretty sure returned it.

Ebling has been making ours including the wing edges.

Still expensive.
  18. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

We have been. Where are you getting yours. Cheaper and last longer?
  19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yes and the same quality but substantially less money. I'm not posting the name as I've done in the past to help people out to save money who in turn bid against me. LOL
  20. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Dave I have the utmost respect for you, and appreciate your opinion. I would never curse what you say, because it's thoughtful and honest. :salute::drinkup: