1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Metal Pless Liveboxx in rough conditions

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Neige, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Finally got a decent storm of 8 inches with lots of wind. This video is at our DC, clearing snow where the trailers have been parked for a long time. This is particularly difficult because of the waves of built up ice that forms between the trailers. One again the Metal Pless performed extremely well.
    See for yourselves. http://youtu.be/JvWyAlftf10
  2. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

How about a vid of it trying to peel up that hard pack you got on the main laneway. How often do you have to clear where the trailers are parked? How long will that pusher last doing that type job? What did you use before?

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

Bring that thing to NY for a real test I never have to look for snow!!

How will it do with heavy truck traffic packing it down !!

I go thru make it look like an ice rink and as soon as I'm gone the trucks bite thru and make it look like I wasn't even there!

How long will the blades last and how much to replace them!!
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

We get it.

Nobody gets snow like you do. Nobody has lots like you do. Nobody has heavy truck traffic like you do. Nobody has trucks tearing it apart after plowing like you do.

Rather than asking the questions constantly, just buy one. I guarantee it is far better than any rubber edged scraper out there. I can't guarantee that about steel edged scrapers, this is the only one I've used.

Rubber edges are 20+ year old technology. Personally, I'm long past ready for some new technology when it comes to pushers.
  5. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

I agree Mark. I have been waiting two winters to make a change. I will be ordering at least one Metal Pless Live Boxx to have in place prior to next winter. I believe my clients deserve better technology and a cleaner cleared surface than what a rubber edged box gives.
  6. Snoviper

Snoviper Senior Member

Nice vid! Thumbs Up
  7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I tried peeling the hard pack on the main laneway, it was so packed and cold my plow could not get underneath it to break it up. The only way to remove that kind of hard pack is to spread a ton of salt, to loosen it up or take out the bucket and try to get underneath it.
    The most has been 3 times in a season, usually its only after big snows.
    No idea, I would say many years just like the others. We have used a snowing, Protect, Metal Pless, Coté, Home made plow, and a straight bucket. What I have been trying to show is that the Liveboxx is a very solid box plow, and you do not have to be afraid using it in harsh conditions.

Like I said above, if there has been lots of truck traffic and its packed down to practically ice, the cutting edges will just glide over it, and at times if you are lucky they bite and get underneath it.
    The blades have carbide inserts, so we figure three times longer then other cutting edges, and I think that is conservative.
    They cost $135.00 a linear foot. I have a client in the Chicago area that has over 350 hrs on his Liveboxxes, and still does not need to change them.
  8. Neige

Neige Sponsor

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Stop posting vids, Paul.

You're almost making me want snow again.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry Mark, until that last vid I've only seen it pushing an inch of snow!!

That last vid is what I plow, sorry to ask questions!!
  11. Grassman09

Thanks Paul good truthful answer. Its not a end all be all but looks really solid. I like how it did the walks. I tried the same with my snow wing this week. Didn't work as well.
  12. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

I bought a new 14' Protech before this winter. Had to replace the rubberr edge already. Seems like almost an annual expense on our 16' model. In light of that the cost of replacing the cutting edges on a Live Boxx doesn't seem so bad.
  13. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I have tried so many different plows in the hopes that I can clean sidewalks along roadways without any luck. The Liveboxx does the job, and does it well.
    I have another video I will try and post later this week. Its really cool when you can save you sidewalk crew time, or that they dont even need to come down.
  14. Grassman09

I hear yea but there are usually parking signs Ballards blocking doors etc. the CDN tire lots are good not much crap. We try and salt the walks with the truck but have had to stop. They have had the spinner up too high and it gets on the widows or shrub beds.

A plow max or whatever is comp to a snowwing with live edge would be better as you can use the wings to clear off the walks and grab the snow in spots. But you don't have the live edge on the wings just the main mold board? Also the snow wing articulates side to side. So if your lot slopes away from the sidewalk you blade will favour the contour of the parking lot. That's what I delt with this Wednesday. So closer to the building you still leave snow behind. If pavement and walkway are not sloping away from each other then game on I suppose.

There are a few contractors I see plow some properties schools and such with rubber edge pushers. They always look like a dogs breakfest or worse. Not sure why they are not using stele edge. Not like we get lil wet snowfalls where the rubber acts as a squeegee.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  15. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

is the left tire locking up periodically in the first video or is it just me?
  16. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

That does a nice job!
  17. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Its not locking up, I am putting so much down pressure I am actually lifting the wheels of the ground.
  18. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

1. How do you coordinate with the warehouse and tractor trailers to move completely out of your way?

We can never get any help from the management to have an extended area of open bays to clear.

2. Does a liveboxx work best if directly mounted to the loader or can it be mounted to a bucket like a traditional pusher? Would that be ineffective?

What size are you using 12? or 14? I really want to buy a loader and steel edge pusher for next year
  19. Neige

Neige Sponsor

In the videos I have been posting I have been using a 14 foot Loader model Liveboxx.