1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Metal or rubber cutting edge?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by LyaecS175, Oct 28, 2008.

1. LyaecS175

LyaecS175 Junior Member
    from RST

Which is more useful for plowing on concrete? Metal or rubber cutting edge on a 7ft Bobcat snowblade (with trip)? The blade came with a metal edge, and the rubber edge is a $350 option... worth it?

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just concrete steel is better, patterned concrete rubber would be better but personally I would go with a poly edge if I was doing patterned.

3. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

is it flag stone? or something like that, that your worried about scratching the concrete?
    the rubber edge is nice it acts like a big squeegee but if it a cold storm and its ice it wont do any good... thats why the steel is better

4. LyaecS175

LyaecS175 Junior Member
    from RST

It's just plain concrete but its our own personal driveway so I would prefer not to be scratching it up. I am assuming that by setting the little pads properly the edge shouldn't touch the concrete anyway, is this correct?

5. randym99

randym99 Senior Member

I would agree with the guys If it is just your own drive ,go with the poly(last longer)or rubber.The few times that it won,t cut the ice.Wait a day or catch it when the sun hits it and loosens it up.(won,t be many times I don,t think)Randy

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The rubber will be fine for this.