1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

metal in western pump reserve

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ericlz, Nov 30, 2003.

1. ericlz

ericlz Junior Member
    from il

please help. I have a western unimount plow. after a couple hours of plowing the pump resevoir has metal shavings in it and it clogs the pump screen. I clean off the screen and return to work any suggestions would be helpfull.

2. snowplowman

snowplowman Junior Member
    from NH

metal

In most of these reservoirs there should be a magnet inside, do you have one i it?/ As it may have come from the factory without one. I would check the pistons to see where you are getting this from because that is the only reurn of fluid going back into the reservoir with no screen. The barrel of the piston could be getting scoured by the guide ring inside. Is the pistin percefectly straight? I would take the piston apart and look insdie the barrel., let me know how you make out.

3. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

We had the exact same problem on a Western we owned 2 years ago. Turns out the angle cylinders were bas some how. Never actually saw them. Put new ones on and the problem was fixed.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Check your turn cylinders. Take your floor jack and place it under your a frame close to the moldboard and jack up the plow just off ground. Remove the turn hose at the power unit and with help have one person hold the hoses over the bucket with a stainer or a clean rag over the end of the hoses to catch debris, have the other person slowly push the mold board side to side. The strainer should catch any debris coming from the cylinders. Be sure to go slow and check the strainer or rag between going to the other side. This will tell you what side cylinder is bad.

5. ericlz

ericlz Junior Member
    from il

thank you

The angle rams did have metal in them due to plunger retainer ring broken in little pieces. No suprise considering my father in law never changed the fluid and the center pivot bolt for the a-frame and quadrant was very loose. Thanks again.