1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Metal flakes causing cartridges to stick

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by musicars, Dec 20, 2013.

1. musicars

musicars Junior Member

I have had a problem with small metal flakes jamming up the cartridges on my Western plow. I've searched the posts and found this to be fairly common problem. I couldn’t find a definite source mentioned. When looking at the flow charts it looks like he source would be the pump since the fluid comes from the reservoir through the filter screen, into the pump, then into the S3 cartridge. Since the S3 cartridge is the one usually sticking I would think the pump would be a likely culprit.
    The other possibility, I suppose, is back flushing from the rams. One ram is only a year or two old but the other has been on forever. Since the S1 cartridge is never sticking, I would guess it’s not the lift ram but rather the angle rams.
    The metal flakes are magnetic.
    Anyone ever find the source? I would appreciate any input.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Pump gears, or pump housing have you pulled it apart and inspected it yet?

3. musicars

musicars Junior Member

Have not had a chance to pull it apart. I have to work on it outside and didn't want to start pulling it apart until I had some input so I can, maybe, limit the down time. The pump was my first thought. I think that's were I will start. Thanks.

4. michdeere

michdeere Member

What model Western? I had a 7.5' standard about 10 years ago with the same problem. I changed EVERYTHING with no luck. Finally pulled one of the angle cylinders apart. There is a retaining ring on the end of the ram that keeps the ram from pushing out of the end of the cylinder. It had disintegrated into tiny pieces.. just like the ones that kept plugging my cartridges. The other cylinder was the same way. Bought and installed new retainers, cleaned and flushed ONE MORE TIME and no more problems. If it's not your pump, check these out...

5. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

Also check the stops on the plow when the plow is at full angle. As things wear on the plow the metal stops don't come into contact anymore then your angle cylinders become the stops.

6. Fixx

Fixx Junior Member

also rusty rams on the lift cylinders on the plow pump will makes way as well..