1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Metal fab horror story

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 75, Feb 9, 2001.

1. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am employed in the welding trade and we get lots of plow repair jobs at my work. Today the boss asked me to look at a job, customer had hit a curb plowing yesterday and some welds were cracked on their mount. I checked it out and found six welds and a handful of tacks holding the mount on. In addition to that there was...Nothing. No bolts, no backing plates, no braces of any kind and everything hung right out at the very end of the frame horns. Truck was a late '80's F250 with a mount of indeterminate origin cobbled up with various bits and pieces. Weld quality varied from marginal to lousy, four of the six welds were broken right through - the weld, not the base metal. "Truck came like that", so I don't know who did the initial installation. I know that many of you do your own metal fabbing (and do a darn good job it too) so please do not be offended by what I am going to say: If you are going to do your own work on your rig, do it right! If you're not sure how to go about it, get advice! (Although I am a new member, I have been reading this forum for some time now and I'm impressed with the knowledge and the experience of the people here) Use the services of a reputable welding company if you're not sure of your own welding ability. Working on board a truck can be quite tricky at times, especially when you've got to weld vertical and overhead while stuffed under the front end. Then there is the design factor - this installation put way too much stress on the frame, so it's probably a good thing the welds did break. Sorry for the long post and again, I don't mean to offend any of you - I just get nervous thinking of what could have happened had that mount let go while doing 45 mph up the highway with the blade up.

1975 GMC C-35