1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Message from Sno-Way

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bryan, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Hello everyone, I am the district sales manager for Sno-Way in the West-Central District covering Michigan,Illinois,Indiana,&Kentucky. This is an awesome sight for discussion. If you have any questions regarding Sno-Way Products please let me know. I will try to answer all e-mail directly to me. I travel weekly so it may take some time to answer but I will answer. If you are planning to attend the APWA Snow Conference, our Marketing Manager Dwayne Shaufler will be in attendance. Thank you for allowing me to participate. For those of you who use Sno-Way, you will be pleasantly surprised with some changes we have made on the straight blade hydraulics for the year 2001. We will also be offering the former 18 series now labeled model ST with Down Pressure! One of the biggest changes will be our new control, which is hand held and eliminates the joystick and rocker controls. For added safety the hand held control will have an on/off button.
    The plug in out front will now be a push/pull connector elinimating the Deutch Connector which at times was very difficult to line up. We have incorporated a piece in our nosepiece to allow easier pin insertion, this can be retro-fitted to any Sno-Way plow, I will have details on this at a later date but cost for this change will not be heavy and could be done by the plow owner. Thank you for your time.
  2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome aboard Bryan...
    You'll get lots of feedback here.
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Welcome Brian,
    We really appreciate your input, however before one of the other moderators jumps on you, please keep the advertising to a minimum. There are places to advertise on the site, used to be pretty free sharing of this type of info, but lately the powers that be seem alot more strict as to what is info and what is advertising.
    I am sure tho, that members that own sno ways will be more than happy to share the good bad and ugly.
  4. torque20

torque20 Junior Member

down pressure

is down pressure recommended plowing foward too, and if so, in what conditions?
  5. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Down Pressure Reply to(Torque20)

Down Pressure can be used pushing forward or backdragging. We emphasize backdragging because that is one of the biggest problems when plowing and pulling back, down pressure keeps the blade cycling downward pressure thus not allowing the plow to raise unless provoked. As for plowing forward with Down Pressure this is not a problem. If the plow user knows the area he or she is plowing then Down Pressure can be used anytime. Some things to keep in mind, plowing with Down Pressure regularly will wear the cutting edge quicker, if the user plows off of pavement on a yard or soft area the down pressure could cause you to catch your shoes on the lip of the harder surface. In cases where the snow is packed from being driven on, if you can use Down Pressure to approach it from different angels, most likely you will be able to peel it up. Also, if you plow any type of special surface like inlayed pavers, cobblestone, or soft surfaces, then the combination of Down Pressure and a rubber cutting edge would be best used.
  6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We prefer urethane edges, instead of rubber. We have had, and many others here at LS very good results with the urethane, some on snowways.
  7. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

urethane cutting edge

Plowking35, your right, the urethane cutting edges are better, has anyone tried the (rubber) cutting edges on their plow offered by CPW. I have heard that these are very durable and work outstanding. I know they are much more heavier duty than any of the snow plow manufacturers offer as an alternative to steel edges.
  8. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

From what I've heard the rubber edges don't begin to compare to urethane as far as durability. Never tried rubber but I am using urethane on one plow now and will have it on three more next year.

I'm currently running two 8' Predators and a 9 Lobo, along with a Spreadator Vee box. I heard about some of the new stuff Sno-Way is coming out with from my dealer who attended the Baltimore truck show.

The changes sound interesting but I really hope you do something about the lack of quality in your welding operations. Maybe you're not doing any worse than the other guys, I see plenty of comments about Boss weld problems, but you're sure not leading the pack in weld quality.

For what it's worth, we run downpressure constantly. It's worth the extra wear on the edge to get a better scrape. And other than the center shoe on the Lobo we don't use shoes at all.