1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Message board restoration pics

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by x.system, Feb 7, 2010.

1. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I've been restoring message and arrow boards for the last couple months and thought I would show some pics of the process and some finished pics. We start by going and picking up a few boards at a time, usually enuff to last a week or two. We then tear them down, sand blast everything and get it ready to paint. It usually takes about 2 days from start to finish or 5 days for 3 of the large boards. We do these during the winter when construction is shut down. When spring comes around we will be doing mostly plow blades.

before
    [​IMG]

teardown
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

blasting the frame
    [​IMG]

more pics to come

2. x.system

x.system Senior Member

The board gets prepped and painted as soon as it comes off the frame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By the time the board is painted the frame is blasted and ready to be moved into the paint room. Here is the first coat of primer applied.
    [​IMG]

Once the frame is painted we move onto the next trailer and let these sit till morning to assemble.
    [​IMG]

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

That is pretty cool!!!! Good way to keep busy during the winter months!

4. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Slap the board back on and start assmebly, meanwhile I'm painting another board or trailer in between.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Move them outside as soon as they are put together.
    [​IMG]

Then load them up for delivery.
    [​IMG]

5. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Here's a plow blade from last fall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

are those frames sand blasted?

7. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Yes, we have a diesel powered blaster that will run soda or sand in the next room.

8. z400

z400 Member

Do your self some reading and not just looking at the pictures.
    Its all in the first post, at the very top of the post!

9. What brand/type paint are you using and whats the name of the color? - I'm looking for a similar orange, thanks!

10. 2low

2low Member

got to see pics of that

11. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Need some chrome hub cabs for those things!! Nice looking work!!

12. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I use mainly PPG paint and that orange is safty orange, one of their fleet colors.

13. Thats cool, I personally prefer PPG prdoucts - I kinda figured it was a fleet color, which is what I've been looking into, but wanted to check and see if thats what you were using.

Oh, and, that is a nice little niche project to keep busy with - good job!

Thanks x.system!