1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mercury Mountaineer?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by whiskey760, Jan 29, 2004.

1. whiskey760

whiskey760 Junior Member

I need a snow plow for personal use. I have a steep 200' driveway to plow. I have used a snow blower in the past but it is getting harder as I get older. After about calling 8 different plowers I got one who does it for $120 each time. Sometimes it's 2 shots for each storm. Way too much. I have a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer. Is it alright to plow with that truck, if it is what is the smallest plow I should use? Or I can sell a 1999 Subaru Forrester we have and buy a used Jeep or something. If I buy something it must be able to fit 4 people (the kids). It can't be a 2 seat pickup truck. Thanks for your help. Eddie. purplebou

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Is a mountaineer the same as the explorer?

3. whiskey760

whiskey760 Junior Member

It is a little bigger with a few extra bells and whistles. I don't know about the frame.

4. Bolts Indus.

Blizzard makes a 680 which is 6'8" plow ( 350 lbs. ) and next year a 720- 7'2" but bigger in all respects. These are small but right for these vehicles and won't over tax the vehicle. Installed one (680) on a Nissan Frontier and he is happy camper to date. Look to see if it is full frame. Let me know. Operated properly no damage to plow or vehicle should happen. I have personally plowed commercially with smaller vehicle and plow.

5. whiskey760

whiskey760 Junior Member

I called Mercury and they said the frame is "body on frame".

6. Bolts Indus.

If you have a full frame then you might want to wait for next years Blizzard 720 ( 7' 2" ) model. Don't put a big plow on it. Hope this has helped you.

7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

is 4x4 offered on mountainer or just AWD anyone know?

8. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

You can get 4X4. It is really the same as an Explorer just a little more plush.