1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mentor anyone?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Neariah, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Neariah

Neariah Junior Member
    from MD

Is there anyone on here willing to take in a rookie for training (by phone) or in person?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What's your question? Lot of help here but you need to be able to take some ribbing to,just not from GP!

3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Think about joining SIMA.....They have a Buddy program and also a wealth of info for you...I think it might be a good Place to start....:salute:....PS..Welcome...Use the search Button at the top...There is a wealth of info there too....Thumbs Up

4. grandview

That too. Just tell them Grandview sent you and get 50.00 bucks off.

www.sima.com

5. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

I believe you mean www.sima.org. You just sent him to the Surf Industry Manufacturer's Association. :laughing:

6. grandview

That's their summer division!

7. Neariah

Neariah Junior Member
    from MD

Yeah
    I dont surf, but does anyone know the cost with the 50.00 discount

8. Neariah

Neariah Junior Member
    from MD

My questions were really about equipment, bobcat, or truck if a truck which one?
    More questions like how much man power would it take to clear a parking lot, or how many trucks for something the size of a home depot or lowes etc...

I know some of those questions are based on the amount of snow but I just wanted a general idea.

9. grandview

Should be 130 that's with the 50 off.

www.sima.org

Tell them grandview for the referral.

10. Neariah

Neariah Junior Member
    from MD

Not bad... Thanks bud

11. grandview

Tell us about your experience in plowing.

12. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Lots of good info here. Just have to see your way through some of the BS, but trust me there are a lot of people on here that really know the snow removal business in an out. One thing to remember too (and this is true with the snow industry more than anything else), is where you are has a lot to do with how things are done. The way GrandView and I do things in Buffalo may not be the same "standard" in Ohio, or PA, or wherever...ESPECIALLY on pricing. I may put up a thread here with a map and some square footage measurements and say "what would you guys bid this at? 3" trigger, average of 30-35 pushes per season" and one guy in Massachusetts might say 8 grand, another on the other side of NY might say 7, and I know that HERE, I can sure bid it at 7 grand but I know theres 5 other guys lined up behind me that'll do it for 4 grand or less and do it GOOD. You get my point here haha

If you've never done snow removal before, I would get your feet wet with some smaller parking lots and driveways before you tackle a Home Depot or anything large commercial like that. Just a lot to learn, theres more to it than just getting in a truck or loader and pushing snow around. But like I said, plenty of good info on here!

13. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I have been considering joining SIMA...not a bad price for the wealth of knowledge

14. Neariah

Neariah Junior Member
    from MD

Thanks for the advice thus far.

My experience in plowing snow is very minimum, and t o be honest near to none.

However, when it comes to plowings little sister, “ice management” I have a little experience to offer. I live in the Washington DC area so snowfalls are nowhere near 30 plus times a year. We would be lucky to get between 3 accumulations over 3".

For ice management what we normally do is get some spreaders and apply some chemical to the sidewalks, and walk the lots with it if asked. When things got really intense some times we'd get a shovel and break patches of ice up near the entryways etc, but that's all.

This is why I was leaning in the direction of trying to get a mentor with pushing snow. I know the majority of the work isn’t rocket science, but I also know its about preparation, and without that one could find themselves in for a long night. Even if the snow is falling at a minimum.

15. grandview

If you do get into plowing just make sure you have a good set of tires on your truck and not those all season ones they try and push.

16. grandview

No problem joining ,just say grandview sent you and get 50 bucks off.Thumbs Up
    www.sima.org

17. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

I have done this With a Couple local schools A few years ago! Most people quite! But then again it was Summer. So i guess that makes a difference.... hated the heat couldnt trim for anything....

Then in the winter this kid wanted to drive one of my 100k dollar trucks on the first day,:eek: i said forget it.

The current "intern" i have is a high schooler who takes Co-op So he gets a half day everyday then meets us where ever we are. Not bad! HE works! And loves it!

18. Neariah

Neariah Junior Member
    from MD

Grandview, I appreciate the pointer on the tires but what about the type of truck Ram, Ford, Bobcat, or something else. I was going to try to start out with buying a used truck in the range of 15,000 or less. Do you think that sounds reasonable? Even more, would you know of a site or publication that advertise good trucks for sale which are already suit-up?

19. grandview

Which truck is best thread starting! I like my Ford with a Boss v plow. That price I can get a good truck ,not sure what you get for that in your area. Try a local dealer first and work your way down to Craigslist.

20. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

We could go for days on the truck to get, but BOSS is the only way... also for me CHEVY/GMC is the only way lol