1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ALLABOUTSNOW, Oct 27, 2010.

Is any one doing any of the Menards in Chicagoland?
  2. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I'm not in Chicago, but wanted to say stay away. They must be the cheapest company I have ever seen. They actually want you to use their salt and load it by hand. haha
  3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I have them all....Whats Your Question...:confused:
  4. Lunarlandscape

Lunarlandscape Member

I placed a bid for Mount Prospect, Morton Grove and the warehouse in Skokie. They wanted an hourly bid price, and like mentioned above, they want you to use their salt. I heard through the grapevine that the low came in at 55.00 per hour? Crazy!!
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I use to plow the local store here. It is true, they make you use salt right off the skids out of the lumberyard. I always charged them my salting price per hour to cut open and load 3 skids in my dump truck, then continued to charge them to spread the salt, as well as drive time to and from the store back to my shop. I tried to explain to them that I can provide the salt and spread it cheaper than they could even provide it in bags, but they have their own way of doing things.I finally lost the account when a couple farmers came in and under bid me using tractors, cheaper then I was getting for pick-up trucks.
  6. Willis Concrete

Willis Concrete Junior Member
    from toledo

people are bidding the one in oregon at like $13,000-$15,000 or i think 75 an hr. not worth it. and like they are saying. thay want you to use there salt thats in bags F-that some scab can have it. and when there equipment brakes they wont have any money to fix it. and they want you to use a percent of what you are bidding it at for in store credit.
  7. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

I've worked with Menards on supplying other items. They are VERY cheap. All they see is the bottom line. Be careful!
  8. mws399LAWN

mws399LAWN Member

and if any of you have read the contract they with hold 15% till april 15, and they also have in contract that you have to sweep the lot after the season is over at your expense.

9. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

What is it with this business? Why are people so eager to plow/salt for nothing?
  10. Willis Concrete

Willis Concrete Junior Member
    from toledo

so they can look like they are makeing money by working but in the long run they are loseing and hurting others. i think everyone should just jack there price up. even the scabs
  11. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

If I was a guy with a couple oftrucks I'd plow a menards for $75 per hour. The salting is a joke, who wants to salt for $75 per hour when u can be making $250-300 per hour with your own salt. The problem with our local menards is it went for less that $50 per hour :(
  12. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

The problem is these lots should be done with a loader not pick up trucks. The store I bid on in the past was 12 acres including the lumber yard.
  13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I lost a Menards contract as a sub last season, 3 stores. I would have had to do it for $45 an hour with V's, less for straights. Don't know what the original contract was for, but I assume about $10 difference. And yes on using their salt, makes for a big pain in the ass.
  14. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

And every year someone plows and salts them. Why should they pay more when someone is always willing to do them cheap?
  15. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

well if anything it is a good laugh, last year we plowed a lot right in front of the menards and got to watch possibly the most inexperienced company attempt to plow the lot with 2 jeeps with what i'm guessing had 7ft blades at best and then when the 12" storm came with they couldn't even push the snow to the designated area where it was supposed to go lol. Shortly after that the store manager came out and begged us to come in and stack all the snow with our loader since this company didn't own one or have the capabilities to get one. All for the title of saying I do one of the larger lots in the area.
  16. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You make more $$$ than that salting...seeing you don't pay for your salt.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  17. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

And unfortunately, I don\'t see this changing.

Low level of entry and what is thought to be a low level of knowledge\\expertise needed to do the work.
  18. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Exactly. you nailed it.
  19. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Superior....Anything You would like to share with the Class?????...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
  20. Kollen Parsons

Kollen Parsons Junior Member

I've been to corporate!

They are very "budget conscious"! Most of the newer stores have heated slabs at the entries and will maintain the walks. Some do ask for a rate to remove roof snow. Some want the entire lot cleared.....others want you to push to a single or multiple piles, depends on the site and manager. SALT....It is true! The back/lumber lots must be done during store hours which means having trucks staged around store hours. This can also mean additional trips. You need to work around the materials in the yards as well. The material arrangements and "cleanliness" vary from store to store. It is a part of your relationship with the manager(s) to figure it out. Their corporate has looked at multiple packages...etc. They, in our area, tend to let each store manager pick thier vendors, with a blessing of course.

Summer work is the same.....use thier fert......check in/out at the desk......give them a "budget conscious" price!

Decide up front if this fits your business model. Don't go in expecting huge $$$$!! However, it does help pay the bills.

Compete Fairly....Bid Fairly......Work Hard!

Just don't give it away!!!!